yapindo

Patch after patch

Hi,

I create a large application installer,so i choose MSI with resources next to it:
1. Installer v1.0.0.msi
2. Installer v1.0.1.msi ( i choose patch when change version )
After that I have successfully create my first patch:
Upgraded: v1.0.1.msi
Target: v1.0.0.msi
Result: Patch v1.0.1.msp

So my client can patch from v1.0.0 to v1.0.1 with that patch.

Now i want modify Installer v1.0.1.aip to create Installer v1.0.2.msi ( i choose patch ) and create second Patch:
Upgraded: v1.0.2.msi
Target: v1.0.1.msi
Result: v1.0.2.msp

The problem is after client successfully install second patch, the files not change and if client uninstall application, files and shortcut not deleted. but application removed from control panel list.
What i missed here? please help.

Best regards
Yapindo
yapindo

Re: Patch after patch

anyone help? need reply as soon as possible please..
Daniel

Hello Yapindo,

I apologize for my delayed answer. I'm not sure why you get this behavior. Can you please make sure you have fulfilled all patches rules? Also, in order to investigate your scenario, can you please send us the .AIPs (project file) of your V1.0.0, V1.0.1, V1.0.2, and of your 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 patch projects to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
yapindo

[EDITED] sorry i think this is clear that patch can't delete file. this cause error on next patch
Last edited by yapindo on Mon May 12, 2014 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
yapindo

[EDITED]
Please confirm that File Operation > File Removal is not allowed in patch
so old files is not allowed to delete?

Regards,
Yapindo
Last edited by yapindo on Mon May 12, 2014 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon

specify previous versions to uninstall?

Our installer allows side-by-side installation for different versions. I'm testing the UpgradeDlg to let user select whether they want to uninstall previous versions or allow side-by-side installation. I'd like to know if it is possible to customize this feature to uninstall only the last version - NOT ALL previous versions of the software.
yapindo

Daniel wrote:Hello Yapindo,

I apologize for my delayed answer. I'm not sure why you get this behavior. Can you please make sure you have fulfilled all patches rules? Also, in order to investigate your scenario, can you please send us the .AIPs (project file) of your V1.0.0, V1.0.1, V1.0.2, and of your 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 patch projects to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

All the best,
Daniel
i think i found my problem is because i delete the file that i want to remove in previous version. I have add file removal to that filename. but if i don't delete, that file will added again after patch finished. How to fix this problem?
Daniel

Hello,

Indeed, you cannot manually remove a file (i.e. go to "Files and Folders" page and delete a file from your setup) from your upgraded version of your product when creating patches. This is against patch rules. However, you shouldn't encounter any problem when adding a file removal operation in the upgraded version of your project. This workaround should allow you to create a patch which will remove a file installed by the target version of your setup. Please take a look on our "Remove some files using patch" thread which debates this workaround.

If this doesn't help you, can you please try to isolate the behavior in a sample and send it us alongside a test case scenario description to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate?

All the best,
Daniel
yapindo

Hi Daniel,

thanks for reply, here i have tested simple application with file removal example patch. still not working. Can you help me check whats wrong?

myApp
scenario:
installer1 : adding test1.txt
installer2 : remove test1.txt and adding test2.txt

patch1:
upgraded: installer2
target: installer1

current result: after installer1 installed then install patch1. but test1.txt not removed so there is test1.txt and test2.txt in myApp folder after patch

Regards,
Yapindo
Attachments
patch.rar
(405.96 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Daniel

Hello Yapindo,

I've tested the scenario and indeed I encountered the same behavior. It seems you cannot include a file removal operation into a patch in order to remove a file installed by the target version of your setup. I apologize for my previous misleading answer.

However, in order to achieve what you need, as another workaround you can specify the file you want to remove in the "RemoveFile" table and then delete the related file from "Files and Folders" page. Here are the steps to proceed:
- open the upgraded project file (v1.0.1)
- go to "Table Editor" page and using the "Add Table" context menu option add the "RemoveFile" table
- in the "RemoveFile" table add a new row like this:
  • FileKey: test1.txt
    Component_: test1.txt
    FileName: test1.txt
    DirProperty: APPDIR
    InstallMode: 3
- go to "Files and Folders" page and delete the "test1.txt" file (also delete the previous added file removal operation)
- rebuild your project
- open your patch project and rebuild it too
- test the patch

Also, I've edited and attached your sent patch sample so it implement the above configuration.
patch.zip
(435.13 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
yapindo

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your solutions it's works!
Btw, when i open installer2.aip there is RemoveFile on the table already. When i delete File Removal, the table is automatically removed.
So we must delete "test1.txt" and the Removal File first before create new table.

Best Regards,
yapindo
Daniel

You're welcome. I'm glad you got this working.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Building Installers”