bstienst

VSIX

I have an existing Advanced Installer that installs my entire product. I want to add a feature that installs a Visual Studio 2015 Plugin. I have the plugin functional and I have a VSIX file and I need Advanced Installer to install the VSIX file as part of installing the feature.

The documentation says to create a VSIX file from Advanced Installer, but since I already have a VSIX I just want to embed this VSIX file in my installer and run it.

I've added the file, but I'm not sure how to make Advanced Installer install the VSIX file. I was hoping it would just do that based on the file type, but that did not happen.

Any ideas?
Dan

Re: VSIX

Hi,

For this, you can follow the steps described in the Create VSIX Installers tutorial to create a project for a Visual Studio Extension installer (VSIX).

Then, you can add the resulted VSIX package as a prerequisite to your existing installation. For details, please take a look on the Add prerequisite article.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
MarcelloS

Hi Dan,

Whether I add it as a prerequisite, what about the uninstalling process, does it uninstall the VSIX package as well?
Catalin

Hello Marcello,

If the package has an uninstall command line, you can pass that through the "Uninstall using this command line" field from the "Prerequisites" page.
Screenshot_101.png
Screenshot_101.png (53.88 KiB) Viewed 3336 times

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”