mathiaso

Uninstalling other msi first

In my installer I want the upgrade to uninstall previous versions and also some msi packages. I have the other msi packages added to the "Upgrades" page, but I need to have them uninstalled before the previous version is uninstalled, this seams impossible to do.

My installer is silent, so when I tried to create a custom action with msiexec /x to uninstall that way, I ran into the issue that I cannot call msiexec before the application was already updated.

Is there any solution to my problem, besides the dirty msiZap?
Dan

Re: Uninstalling other msi first

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

If your installation is made with Full UI, then you can trigger the uninstall of the others MSI through a custom action during the UI Dialogs (in order to make sure that they are removed before your old application). Since the installation will be silent, then you cannot trigger the uninstall of the related MSIs before the uninstall of your old application.

Considering your scenario, the only approach may be using the MsiZap utility.

If you have other questions, please let me know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
mathiaso

Thank you for your answer.

Can I create a "Full UI" installation with only a single dialog, or do the "Full UI" installation always contain the same dialogs (Welcome, Folder, verify etc)?
My dream scenario would be a welcome dialog only.
Dan

Hello,

In order to achieve this, you can delete the related dialogs from the First Time Install sequence from the Dialogs page.

If you don't want to display the FinishDlg then you can enable the Run finish actions without displaying this dialog option from the bottom pane of the FinishDlg.

Let me know if you need any help.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”