czeshirecat

Feature. Displaying sub feature at root level rather than as a node

In my Professional level installer I have
1) A root level feature that's always installed e.g. MyApp.
2) A root level feature that's a Windows service e.g MyAppService. This isn't installed by default.
3) A feature that's a bespoke service written for one customer.
This should only be install-able if MyAppService is installed. But I don't want it as a sub node because it's always autoselected if the user checks the MyAppService root node and therefore too easily installed by mistake. I also don't want it as a sub node because it's bespoke for the one customer (I don't want to create a separate installer for it).

Im still low experience with AI. So How do I create a root level feature that is disabled unless MyAppService has been selected for installation? Is there a demo somewhere? I'm assuming I set a condition, but I don't seem to be able to get my head around how they're used in AI.

(The attached pic. The left hand side shows the simple way to do it using organization. Egym can't be installed unless the Windows service is selected for installation too.
The right hand side shows how I want it to look, appearance wise, but I still don't want Egym to be install-able unless the Windows service is also selected.)
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (14.33 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Eusebiu

Re: Feature. Displaying sub feature at root level rather than as a node

Hi,

In order to achieve this you can only create a custom feature selection dialog and set the appropriate control condition for the last feature's related control. For more details you can read the "How to show a custom feature selection dialog" tutorial.

Just let me know if you have other questions.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”