PaulK

Previous Wise Installation

Hi.. I've read through the support on this Community and I have not seen an direct answer to a question I have...

I have a previous MSI (Wise Installer) installed on my clients machines. I'm now trialing Advanced Installer Enterprise.

Some Background info...

I have migrated from WSI to the AD.aip. I'm using the same UpgradeCode code and I have changed the ProductCode and version number as required to perform a minor change. I'm needing to retain the previous Installation Type, which I'm using the CA PreserveInstallType, which is detecting the previous type correctly, or so it would seem. Now what's not happening is I cannot see any values being listed in the OLDPRODUCTS or AI_NEWPRODUCTFOUND variables. I have created my own Upgrade variable and have used the detect only and store in variable UPGRADE_1 and still I cannot get any data to be listed in here either. The purpose for this is so I can hide the Installation Type dialog box if NOT OLDPRODUCTS is find in the condition. To test the variable states I have entered a messagebox to display the values, this CA is located at the end of Path Resolutions.

My Question is ...

Why is AI not detecting any previous installations in the Ugrade variables yet it can detect the previous installation type and also If I select the CA Uninstall Previous Versions my currently installed MSI will start to run the removal process that exists in my older version. Which must mean it has been detected.

Look forward to your reply.
Eusebiu

Re: Previous Wise Installation

Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.

In case the new version of a package has a different installation type than the old one, it will not detect it. However, if the "Preserve Install Type of the old version" custom action is used after the "Wizard Dialogs Stage -> Searches" action group, the old version should be detected.

When that custom action is used, everything should work fine, the old version is detected, the "OLDPRODUCTS" property is set, its installation type is preserved and it is also uninstalled during the upgrade.

Can you please send me the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com, so I can investigate them?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
PaulK

Thank you for your reply.

After producing the log file and reading it I could see that I need to move my CA up just one level for my CA to function correctly. Which is does now.

Kind Regards
Eusebiu

You're welcome. I'm glad you solved the problem.

Just let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”