mrhoades

What digital certificate do I buy??

Hi - my company wants me to digitally sign our installers so that our software is trusted. I see that there is a page in Advanced Installer for digital signatures. Great!

I'm not familiar with this stuff enough to know what I need to buy. So when I go to Comodo, or GoDaddy, or any of these certificate sites, I see tons of different types of certificates. SSL Certificates, EV Certificates, Positive EV SSL, Wildcard SSL, Code Signing certificates.... none of them just say "digital signature"...

What am I supposed to buy?? What's a solid, trusted digital signature, and what "type" do I buy? I saw a reference that EV certs are best for the new Microsoft Smartscreen.

Also, I have 3 different installers for 3 different products. Do I have to buy 3 different certificates, or can I just buy 1 and use that PFX file for all 3 installers?

Thanks!
Daniel

Re: What digital certificate do I buy??

Hello,

You should just make sure that the certificate you buy is also of Microsoft Authenticode type, more exactly that supports signing Windows MSI, CAB and executable file types. You should just forward this requirement to the certificate vendor you want to acquire a certificate from.
Also, I have 3 different installers for 3 different products. Do I have to buy 3 different certificates, or can I just buy 1 and use that PFX file for all 3 installers?
This is entirely your choice. You can go with a single certificate to be used by all setup packages without any problem. From my experience you should get 3 certificates only if you need to show different publisher info for each product package. If this is not the case then you should purchase just one certificate.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Megatuner

I have nearly the same question. The Comodo Extended Validation Code Signing certificate I will buy for better performance of my Setup.exe without Microsoft SmartScreen during start of the Setup.exe in the costumer computer. Is this USB stick certificate usable in Advanced Installer Professional software? It is not a PFX file!
Thanks for answer.
Werner
Daniel

Hi Werner,

Yes, you should be able to use your EV certificate without any problem in Advanced Installer.

Just make sure you import your certificate into the certificates store of your machine and then select it in "Digital Signatures" page of your Advanced Installer setup project.

If you have any questions or doubts do not hesitate to write us back.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”