blackpanda

Don't show extract folder of SQLSETUP.exe

Hi,

I added a prerequisite for SQLEXP2017 with silent simple install to my installer. It's good. When I ran my installer, it showed a dialog to prompt user to select an extract location for SQLEXP, how can I hide this dialog? We only want to show the progress in the UI without any actions from users.

Thank you.
Catalin

Re: Don't show extract folder of SQLSETUP.exe

Hello and welcome to our forums,

In order to achieve what you want, you can pass the following parameters in the "Install Command Lines" fields in Advanced Installer.

Code: Select all

/x:LocationToExtract
Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
blackpanda

I tried to add a command as you suggested
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (7.53 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
The installer still show this screen.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (12.26 KiB) Viewed 3965 times

Any comments?
Catalin

Hello,

That is a strange behavior. I have tested this just now and it worked as expected (the user is not prompted to choose the location).

Can you please try to manually install the SQL Server (maybe on a clean virtual machine) using the exact command line as you have used in the "Install Command Lines" field? If that does not work manually, it can not work in Advanced Installer either.

Also, for your reference, here is the command line I have used:

Code: Select all

"C:\Users\Catalin\Downloads\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe" /x:C:\ExtractionFolder /qs /ACTION=INSTALL /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER /SQLSVCACCOUNT="<ComputerName(OR DomainName)\UserName" /SQLSVCPASSWORD="<password>" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="ComputerName(OR DomainName)\UserName" /AGTSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" /SQLSVCINSTANTFILEINIT="True" /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS
The above command line can be used to manually install SQL Server. In Advanced Installer, you should only pass the command line starting with "/x:....".

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Catalin
blackpanda

Hi Catalin,

Thank you for your reply. I found the problem.

1st:
C:\Windows\Temp seems inaccessible and will cause unexpected behavior.
I changed it to C:\Temp and it's OK

2nd:
Advanced Installer seems only accept this command '/qs' when working with /x. I tried '/q=false /qs=true' and '/qs=true' those can run manually install SQL Server but Advanced Installer always show the Prompt screen.

The correct one must be /x:C:\Temp /qs
Catalin

Hello,

You are always welcome. I am glad I could help.
Advanced Installer seems only accept this command '/qs' when working with /x. I tried '/q=false /qs=true' and '/qs=true' those can run manually install SQL Server but Advanced Installer always show the Prompt screen.
I have tested this with "/q" command as well, and it worked as expected. I have to admit that I did not test it with the command lines you have specified above. I will have a look into that soon and I will let you know the results.

All the best,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”