burnersk

Web installer with prerequisites as individual CABs?

I want to build an web installer for an .NET application. I plan to distribute the .NET Framework redistributable included within my application setup.

I have setup .NET Framework as a prerequisite and build the web installer.

Unfortunately, the .NET Framework redistributable is moved into the "small" web installer EXE. Now, instead of having an actual 2-3 MB small web installer EXE, I have 60 MB "small" web installer EXE.

Further analyses of the prerequisite concept make it clear that this behavior is correct.

However, how to workaround this "issue" and have the .NET Framework redistributable as an separate feature to be downloaded/installed only, when there is not .NET Framework Version X.Y or above?

I need to have the web installer EXE to be below 5 MB in size.
Catalin

Re: Web installer with prerequisites as individual CABs?

Hello,

In order to achieve what you want, you can add your prerequisite as a web-installer prerequisite. For instance, you can go to "Prerequisites" page, select the .NET framework from the list of predefined prerequisites and select "No" when it asks if you whether want to download and include it in the package or not.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
burnersk

Catalin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:46 pm In order to achieve what you want, you can add your prerequisite as a web-installer prerequisite. For instance, you can go to "Prerequisites" page, select the .NET framework from the list of predefined prerequisites and select "No" when it asks if you whether want to download and include it in the package or not.
I expect your previous - deleted - answer does not work? The one with feature-based?
Catalin

Hello,
I expect your previous - deleted - answer does not work? The one with feature-based?
Yes, you are right. I have read the thread in a hurry and misunderstood the scenario.

Please try to implement the above scenario and let me know if that helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”