jsachs

File Associations

The pre-defined File Associations dialog box does not - as some other installers do - have buttons for Select All and Select None. Our application has different sets of users, some of whom ant to enable all the file associations and some don't want any. Checking or unchecking each association is an annoyance. Is this feature already supported in some form that I am unaware of by Advanced Installer? If so, please explain. If not, please consider this a feature request.
Catalin

Re: File Associations

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

I have tested this scenario and indeed, you are right, the predefined dialog does not have buttons for selecting and unselecting all the file associations.

However, this can be achieved pretty easily:

Let's assume we have the following two extensions: exe and txt.

From this, two checkboxes are created in the "FileAssociationsDlg", having the following properties:

EXE_CHECKBOX

and

TXT_CHECKBOX

When selected, the above properties will have, by default, a value of "1". When unchecked, the value (of the properties) will be set to empty string.

So, here is you can achieve that:

- go to "Dialogs" page

- in the "FileAssoctiaonsDlg" dialog, add two push-buttons controls (one named "Select All" and the other one "Deselect All" - these changes can be done from the "Properties" pane of the control).

- now click on the "Select All" buton. Under "Published Events", please create an event as it follows:
Annotation 2019-09-25 100257.png
Annotation 2019-09-25 100257.png (133.18 KiB) Viewed 17643 times
Now please repeat the above step for the second file association.

Now, please click on the "Deselect All" button and please repeat the above steps with the following modification:

- this time, the property will be set to the "{}" (without quotes) value, instead of "1".

This way, when these buttons are pressed, it should either select or deselect all file associations.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
jsachs

Unfortunately, the method you are suggesting seems to require an Enterprise license which I do not wish to purchase. Am I missing something?

If not, let me request again that you add this as a selectable feature of the standard File Associations dialog as it should be useful to many users.
Catalin

Hello,

Indeed, you are right. The method I was suggesting requires the Dialog Editor feature which is available starting with the Enterprise suite or above.

I have added your request on our TODO list of improvements. Thank you for your suggestion.

I will update this thread when the improvement will be added to Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin
jsachs

Thanks for your quick responses.
Catalin

You are always welcome.

Kind regards,
Catalin
Catalin

Hello,

This improvement has been added in version 21.5 of Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”