pforsbom

Custom IIS application name - having problems

Hi
I have an IIS installer package where I have a dialog where user can name the IIS Application. I partially followed the description in this forum article: viewtopic.php?t=29105
This is working fine when I install the package but I am having problems on Uninstall or Upgrade. The installer gives me an error saying "Could not access network location MY_WEBAPP_PATH"

My basic setup:
Three Install Paramater properties:
Name= MY_WEBAPP_PATH - Value = MY_WEBAPP_PATH
Name= MY_WEBAPP_NAME - Value = <Default name>
Name=WWWROOTFOLDER - populated with [IIsWWWRootFolder] in a Custom Action
On the Next button on my custom dialog I populate MY_WEBAPP_PATH with [WWWROOTFOLDER]\[EDIT_APP_NAME]
I also set APPDIR = [MY_WEBAPP_PATH] so that the FolderDlg is populated with the correct folder.
In Files and Folders I have a Property based folder MY_WEBAPP_PATH

I suspect the uninstall process can not populate the MY_WEBAPP_PATH correctly.

Any help appreciated
-Peter-
pforsbom

Re: Custom IIS application name - having problems

Please let me know if anything is unclear :)
Catalin

Hello Peter,

This is mostly happening due to the fact that your path is not valid when the check is done -> "Paths resolution" --> "CostFinalize" standard action.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me the following resources:

- a copy of your .AIP file

- a download link for the setup that reproduces this issue

- a verbose log of the uninstall process

by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com

Also, if possible, please have a look on the following forum thread which I think you may find useful:

Workaround for the "Could not access network location" error

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
pforsbom

Hi
I sent you an email. Did you get a chance to look at it?
Catalin

Hello Peter,

First of all, please accept my apologies for the delayed reply, but we were quite busy lately.

Thank you for the provided files.

As I can see in the .AIP file, the property is populated (defined) at install time. Unfortunately, its value is not kept during maintenance or upgrade.

After some further investigations, it seems that in the log you have sent me, as far as I could see, the value of the property is reset to its default value ("MY_WEBAPP_PATH" - without quotes).

The above is normal as a path such as "MY_WEBAPP_PATH" does not exist. As you could see, you need to set the property's value before the "Paths Resolution" action group, where the paths are computed, through a "Set property" custom action.

If you do not set the property's value, during the action that computes the paths, you will receive the same error, even during a first-time install.

There are few things that can be done here:

1. You can configure the "Set property" custom action to also run during maintenance and uninstall by selecting the "Maintenance" and "Uninstall" options from under the "Dialogs Stage Condition" field (in "Custom Actions" page --> your custom action)

2. In order for a property's value to be kept during maintenance (repair, uninstall) or during an upgrade operation, you can set the property as a "Persistent" property. This can be done in "Install Parameters" page --> double click on your property --> enable the "Set persistent property" option.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
pforsbom

Thank you! That worked :)
Catalin

You are always welcome, Peter!

I am glad I could help.