acpowell

Could not write value INF during install of a repackaged program.

I am not sure if this is the best place to put this. I repackaged a program and now when I go to install it from the repackaged version I get a lot of errors related to driver INF files. I have included a couple examples. There are at least 10-15 of these that pop up during the install. If I click ignore it will eventually progress.
winest_error2.png
winest_error2.png (22.61 KiB) Viewed 8908 times
winest_error.png
winest_error.png (31.34 KiB) Viewed 8908 times
acpowell

Re: Could not write value INF during install of a repackaged program.

I am still struggling with this. I am installing for machine and even running as admin. The reg entries are under HKLM but every info I find doesn't help. I have even gone into the properties of the reg keys and told it to create it if missing but it fails on creating it also.
Catalin

Hello,

Unfortunately, I can not say for sure why this is happening.

If possible, could you please forward us a download link of the setup you are trying to repackage by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

If you open the "Registry" page, do those registry entries have a value? From what I know, if you try to write at install time an empty value into a DWORD registry value, it might fail, as it is not supported by Windows.

If that is not the case, another thing you can try is search in our forums for that specific error (i.e. "could not write value to key") and see if any answer helps with your scenario

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
acpowell

Catalin wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:01 pm Hello,

Unfortunately, I can not say for sure why this is happening.

If possible, could you please forward us a download link of the setup you are trying to repackage by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

If you open the "Registry" page, do those registry entries have a value? From what I know, if you try to write at install time an empty value into a DWORD registry value, it might fail, as it is not supported by Windows.

If that is not the case, another thing you can try is search in our forums for that specific error (i.e. "could not write value to key") and see if any answer helps with your scenario

Best regards,
Catalin
I just sent you the info you requested. Thank you for taking a look.
Catalin

Hello Anthony,

Thank you for the provided files.

Once I will conclude my investigations, I will follow you up over the email.

Best regards,
Catalin
MGS

Catalin wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:44 am Once I will conclude my investigations, I will follow you up over the email.
Hello Catalin,

I get the same error message, and I have also enabled the "Run as administrator" option on the "Installation parameters" page. Have you been able to resolve this error? If so, how?

Best regards,
Johannes
Catalin

Hello Johannes,

That was happening because of some noise registry entries captured during the repackaging session.

I will paste below the reply from email:
I've finished my investigations regarding this and here would be the conclusions:

- the keys from under SYSTEM\WaaS\WaaSMedic\TaskStore are system keys, not really related to your setup package. Most likely, during the repackaging process, some system process modified those entries and thus the repackager captured them.

By default, you can find these keys on a clean machine. If you try to modify them, you will see that they can't be modified, even if you are an administrator.

Additionally, when doing a before and after installation comparation of these keys, you can notice that they are not actually modified.

With that being said, we can consider these keys as "noise" and remove them from the project.

- regarding the DRIVERS\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages\amyuni.inf_amd64_59192b45a3f57cbb key, this probably happens because we are not actually installing amyuni.inf as a driver.

To avoid this, please go to "Drivers" page and add the .INF file there, so it can be installed as a driver.

- besides those two, some other error will occur for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\NegativeCache key. This is similar to the first.
What I can suggest here would be to do the repackaging process in a Sandbox environment as that is even "cleaner" than the VMs - we have added this support not so long ago.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”