tmako

EXE repackaging to MSI builds a broken installer, which cannot create some registry keys.

I'm testing Advanced Installer. Specifically, I'm interested in finding out if it can easily repackage EXE in order to add Silent installation. which is not available in the original EXE.
Capturing process goes well without any errors. The app is captured and installed.
But When I try to install MSI created from EXE it tells me that it "Could not write value to key... Verify that you have sufficient permissions..."
I tried to find that key in Repackager Session to see if I can simply exclude it before building new MSI. But there's no such key captured. So, I don't get it.
Is that a bug of evaluation version? Or maybe I captured the app incorrectly?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (67.82 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
Catalin

Re: EXE repackaging to MSI builds a broken installer, which cannot create some registry keys.

Hello and welcome to our forums,

This is indeed a strange behavior. Most likely, that SID represents your own user.

You can proceed as it follows to see whether it returns your username or not:

- open an elevated PowerShell prompt

Code: Select all

$sid = new-object system.security.principal.securityidentifier("SID")
$objUser = $sid.translate([System.Security.Principal.NTAccount])
$objUser.value
Could you please try that and see if it returns your username?

The "ProfileService" key contains subkeys that store references to the user profiles on a Windows computer. These references include the location of the profile, the security identifier (SID) of the user associated with the profile, and other information.

The "References" key contains subkeys that store information about the user profiles that are currently loaded on the system. These subkeys include the SID of the user associated with the profile, the path to the profile, and other information.

It's important to note that modifying the registry key improperly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Therefore, it's recommended to be very careful when working with the registry.

That being said, I highly doubt that your EXE setup tries to modify that key.

Most likely, I would say that is a "noise" entry captured from some other system process.

Did you perform the repackaging operation on a clean Virtual Machine? Please note we recommend this so as little "noise" as possible is captured during the process.

Additionally, if possible, could you please share with me the name of the EXE package that you are trying to repackage so I can run some tests on my end as well?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”