kkkwj

Hide some of the 5 starting dialogs please

I have a simple EXE app installer that checks for a NET 6 prerequisite. It is currently in the Pre-install phase (although it could be in the Feature phase on the pre-requisite page). I filmed the installation sequence and saw FOUR dialogs FLICKER up before the Welcome to the App Setup Wizard dialog:

1. My App - Preparing...
2. My App - Extracting the main application file ...
3. My App - Welcome to the Prerequisites Setup Wizard
4. Windows installer - Preparing to install ...
5. My App - Welcome to the MyApp Setup Wizard

Q. Is there a way to shut off at least the first three of those dialogs? In my case, they pop up and flicker too fast to read them. Thus, they are useless to people - they only make it look like my installer is having a heart attack, flickering like a dim lightbulb in a movie. (I assume the Windows Installer dialog is beyond our control.)

I'm only using the EXE installer to get some options for colorful dialogs. But now it seems that I need to choose between four unhelpful flickering dialogs and some colorful options. I went into the custom actions section and set the execution action for several dialogs in the Wizard stage to 0. But that did not help at all.

If there is no way to shut off the dialogs, could you please treat this ticket as a new feature request? It's very disturbing for a new install to flicker four times before a useful dialog appeared.

Thank you
Liviu

Re: Hide some of the 5 starting dialogs please

Hello,

Can you please go to the "Dialogs" page, under "EXE Bootstrapper" click on "Pre-install UI", and from the opened tab on "Settings", set the UI Level on "Silent install (no UI)" and see if that helps?
pre install UI.png
pre install UI.png (41.07 KiB) Viewed 4534 times

Please note that the "Pre-install UI" dialogs are displayed only when a pre-install prerequisite is required for installation, otherwise, none of those dialogs will be displayed.

If the above option does not help, then probably the flickering dialog could be the "PrepareDlg" dialog.

This dialog shows the "Please wait while the Setup Wizard prepares to guide you through the installation" message.

If you'd like to skip this dialog, please refer to the Hiding the PrepareDlg article.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Building Installers”