IanBrooke

A few Questions

Hi, I'm just trialling Advanced Installer but hit a couple of problems which I'm hoping someone can help with.

I need to build an installer for a legacy Visual Basic 6 application. I used the wizard to open that project and it did an almost reasonable job of importing it. There are a couple of issues though:
1. It has identified all the used system dll and ocx files but for some reason it seems to be trying to install them into the Application Folder rather than SYSWOW64. I think I have relocated them properly but I'm a bit unsure if I need to do something to register them??
There was initially an issue because it was trying to find these files in C:\Users\Windows\Syswow64 which was obviously wrong, no idea why but I think I've fixed that.
2. When I try to build the project I'm getting an error: "Could not copy template file from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 20.8\templates\template.msi' to 'C:\Users\My Folders\xxxxx\Advanced Installer\xxxxx.msi'. Error: The system cannot find the path specified.". This one has me beat, C:\Users\My Folders" does not exist, it should say C:\Users\Ianbr but I have no idea where it's getting that path from or how to change it.

Thanks for any help
Ian
Liviu

Re: A few Questions

Hello Ian,
1. It has identified all the used system dll and ocx files but for some reason it seems to be trying to install them into the Application Folder rather than SYSWOW64. I think I have relocated them properly but I'm a bit unsure if I need to do something to register them??
There was initially an issue because it was trying to find these files in C:\Users\Windows\Syswow64 which was obviously wrong, no idea why but I think I've fixed that.
Advanced Installer has the option to register DLL/OCX files. You should double click on a file you need to register in the Files and Folders page and from the Registration tab check the Auto register file (DLL, OCX, etc.) option.

You can find more details about the registration method on the Registration article.

2. When I try to build the project I'm getting an error: "Could not copy template file from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 20.8\templates\template.msi' to 'C:\Users\My Folders\xxxxx\Advanced Installer\xxxxx.msi'. Error: The system cannot find the path specified.". This one has me beat, C:\Users\My Folders" does not exist, it should say C:\Users\Ianbr but I have no idea where it's getting that path from or how to change it.
Most likely this error appears because Advanced Installer does not have the permissions to create the package at the output location specified in the Builds page or because that path does not exist:
output folder.png
output folder.png (43.58 KiB) Viewed 4483 times

Can you change it and see if the build works?

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Building Installers”