IanBrooke

Folders and Product ID's

I'm confused by the folder names under "Resources/Files and Folders". There is shown a folder "Windows Volume/Windows/System 64" which does not exist, however there does exist the folder "SysWoW64" which isn't shown, are these two the same thing? Likewise the program shows "System 16" which doesn't exist but omits "System 32". AFAIK 16-bit programs have not been compatible with any version of Windows for many years and cannot be used so I don't know why they show a System 16.

As a 2nd question can I ask about "Product Details". On there is a tab for "Product IDs" and on there two codes - "Product Code" and "Upgrade Code". Can I check the use of these, my guess is that "Product Code" identifies a product release, that is it changes with each new version. Whereas Upgrade Code is more of an identification for the product - it remains the same with each new release and on install any existing installed product with the same Upgrade Code is first removed. Is this roughly correct?
Liviu

Re: Folders and Product ID's

Hello and welcome to our forums,
I'm confused by the folder names under "Resources/Files and Folders". There is shown a folder "Windows Volume/Windows/System 64" which does not exist, however there does exist the folder "SysWoW64" which isn't shown, are these two the same thing? Likewise the program shows "System 16" which doesn't exist but omits "System 32". AFAIK 16-bit programs have not been compatible with any version of Windows for many years and cannot be used so I don't know why they show a System 16.

These are predefined Windows Installer folders. When the installation package runs, Windows Installer will automatically resolve their paths according to the target machine's configuration.

For more details about the paths, please check the Paths of the folders in the "Files and Folders" article.

For example, the "System 64" folder is resolved to "C:\Windows\system32" only on 64-bit machines.

As a 2nd question can I ask about "Product Details". On there is a tab for "Product IDs" and on there two codes - "Product Code" and "Upgrade Code". Can I check the use of these, my guess is that "Product Code" identifies a product release, that is it changes with each new version. Whereas Upgrade Code is more of an identification for the product - it remains the same with each new release and on install any existing installed product with the same Upgrade Code is first removed. Is this roughly correct?
Yes, this is correct. The ProductCode property is a unique GUID used to identify your application. This identifier varies from version to version of the same installer.

The UpgradeCode is a GUID representing a related set of products. A set of different versions of your application will have the same UpgradeCode. This enables newer versions of your application to search and upgrade previous versions installed on the same computer.

For more details, please see the Product Identification (ProductCode and UpgradeCode) article.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Building Installers”