msintle

Setup Capture for Modern Windows Apps

Are your tools able to convert a modern Windows app into any kind of package (MSI/EXE/MSIX)?

We have a requirement to install Adobe XD on Windows 11 on ARM. The Adobe XD 64 bit binaries would be emulated successfully on Windows 11 on ARM.

However for unknown reasons Adobe does not provide this app for Windows 11 on ARM, and we would therefore like to do a setup capture on this application; in order to be able to run this app on virtual machines running on Apple Silicon.

Is this a scenario you support? Would we just do a setup capture normally?

Thank you.
msintle

Re: Setup Capture for Modern Windows Apps

To clarify my concern, as “modern” apps have a completely different architecture and per-device entitlements (even when they are completely free) I am not sure any kind of repackaging approach could ever hope to capture them successfully.

Have you developed any techniques to address this concern, or is my assessment correct that these are outside of the domain of setup capture as we know it today and the foreseeable future?
msintle

Any reply from the team please, or should we move on and look at other alternatives?
Catalin

Hello and welcome to our forums,

First of all, please accept my apologies for the delayed reply on this.
Have you developed any techniques to address this concern, or is my assessment correct that these are outside of the domain of setup capture as we know it today and the foreseeable future?
Unfortunately, I'm afraid not.

However, we could still give it a try and see how it works considering we offer a 30-day fully featured trial (nothing required, not even an email).
We have a requirement to install Adobe XD on Windows 11 on ARM. The Adobe XD 64 bit binaries would be emulated successfully on Windows 11 on ARM.
Windows on ARM natively supports ARM64 software. If an installer package contains ARM64 binaries, it can be executed directly on ARM devices. For x86 installers, Windows on ARM uses emulation to run them.

The same resources that were installed by the original installer will be captured by the Repackager and included in the resulted installer.

Note that Advanced Installer offers predefined Arm64 package type, and a predefined property which can be further used to condition specific ARM64 binaries if going with x86 or x64 setup packages.

AiArm64 -This property is set to 1 if ARM64 architecture is detected, otherwise it is empty.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”