h353655

Using XML import and AI Pro

I discovered to my dismay, that a Pro license lacks a feature I assume most people would want: being able to generate app.config files (XML).

It suggested I could upgrade to Enterprise (timebombed) which I suppose is all fine and well...but what happens when the trial runs out? Will I then no longer be able to generate that AIP with my Pro license, or just not able to edit the config I currently have, or....?

It saddens me, that the Pro license lacks that essential feature, which IMHO makes the entry tier more or less useless for normal use.
Catalin

Re: Using XML import and AI Pro

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback on this!

Indeed, as you have noticed, the XML Editor is indeed available starting with the Enterprise suite.

However, you can add XML files as regular files in a "Professional" project as well.

You can then mimic the XML Editor through a Custom Action of your own - e.g. a PowerShell script that updates the XML file.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
h353655

Yes, I know I can do something by myself afterwards, but I think that was not the intention. I think it renders the "Pro" (I think it should possibly have been named "Basic" or "Very Basic") more or less unusable.

But I didn't get an aswer to my real question:
If I create something with a higher tier trial version, and decides not to upgrade in the end, will my project stop working (or perhaps just that feature)? What will happen if I've imported a .config file using the trial of Enterprise and then, after the trial I revert back to Professinal? Will I just not be able to edit that file? Will that feature stop working? Will my whole .AIP stop working?
Catalin

Hello,
If I create something with a higher tier trial version, and decides not to upgrade in the end, will my project stop working (or perhaps just that feature)?
If this happens, then you will not be able to build the project when the trial ends.
What will happen if I've imported a .config file using the trial of Enterprise and then, after the trial I revert back to Professinal? Will I just not be able to edit that file? Will that feature stop working? Will my whole .AIP stop working?
Same as above. However, in this case, a copy of your AIP file will be created on disk automatically so you can use that to continue building your project.

Best regards,
Catalin
h353655

Thanks for the fast response. Seems like we'll have to consider upgrading to the next tier then.

I have added my AIP as a project in Visual Studio. At the moment, our build server seems to build the aip just fine when it runs MSBuild - there is no Advanced Installer on our build server. Will that change if or when we upgrade to an Enterprise license? Just want to make sure our build server won't stall after the upgrade. We use a build server called Jenkins, and it builds our software using MSBuild.
Catalin

Hello,
Thanks for the fast response.
You are always welcome! :)
I have added my AIP as a project in Visual Studio. At the moment, our build server seems to build the aip just fine when it runs MSBuild - there is no Advanced Installer on our build server. Will that change if or when we upgrade to an Enterprise license? Just want to make sure our build server won't stall after the upgrade. We use a build server called Jenkins, and it builds our software using MSBuild.
Upgrading to a higher suite should not affect this.

In fact, your build server probably has a step that downloads Advanced Installer everytime you run it. That's why you need to provide the license key so Advanced Installer can be registered and build your project.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”