alter_ego_dev2

How to customize Advanced Installer prerequisites?

We would like to have two different installer versions of an application.
1). An installer has several prerequisites based on "Download single file from URL" approach. The installer size is small and it can download prerequisite files during installation and install them before application.
2). The second installer will be executed in the environment when an installer can't download prerequisites. Probably, prerequisite files should be included as resource files and used in the Prerequisite section as "Use files from disk". In this case, installer size is much bigger, but doesn't require an internet connection.
Since the app installer project has a lot of settings, custom actions and will be changed frequently, it is reasonable to have only one installer project. I am wondering what would be the best practice to handle such scenario?
Probably, I could add a different build, set different properties for each build. Can I add a file to Resource conditionally? For example, Build B has a large prerequisite file, a prerequisite setting use this optional file. Build A doesn't have a large file, prerequisite installation is disabled and overall installer size is smaller. Is it possible?
Catalin

Re: How to customize Advanced Installer prerequisites?

Hello,

In this case, I would suggest using the "Save as Template" option.

We can create the base project (with all the customizations, except for prerequisites).

We can then, based on the above template, generate two projects:

- one with the prerequisites embedded

- one with the prerequisites downloadable online

You can, for easier access, create a "project solution" (e.g. a solution containing your two projects).

To do so, open one of your projects, go to "File" --> "Add" --> "Existing project to solution".

And then, to save the solution, you can go to "File" --> "Save" --> "Save Solution as"
Screenshot_120.png
Screenshot_120.png (72.67 KiB) Viewed 8934 times
Screenshot_121.png
Screenshot_121.png (52.47 KiB) Viewed 8934 times

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
alter_ego_dev2

Thank you very much for the clarification!
I've got a question from the maintainability perspective: If I understood correctly there are two projects created from one template in your proposed option. Does it mean that in case of a new custom action, I will need to create a custom action in one project and then create the same custom action in the second one?
Catalin

You are always welcome!
Does it mean that in case of a new custom action, I will need to create a custom action in one project and then create the same custom action in the second one?
Yes, that is indeed the case. In order to simplify this, you can copy-paste the custom action, but yes, it would need to be added in both projects.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”