CaMat

What action AI_DATA_SETTER does?

Hello,

Don't know why, but my installer crash when it's process to main instalation after installing correctly prerequisites. In log file, in the end I have:
Action ended 14:15:38: AI_ChooseTextStyles. Return value 1.
MSI (c) (C4:A8) [14:15:38:821]: Doing action: PrepareDlg
Action started 14:15:38: PrepareDlg.
Action ended 14:15:38: PrepareDlg. Return value 1.
MSI (c) (C4:A8) [14:15:38:823]: Doing action: AI_DATA_SETTER_33

What action AI_DATA_SETTER_33 does? And what in this action can crash installer without any error?

Edit: Ok, in my case AI_DATA_SETTER_33 is Init Events performed on my next to PrepareDlg dialog.
Edit2: I thougth problem was in my defined actions, but after moving them to PrepareDlg, my installation, acording on log, fails on
Doing action: WelcomeDialog (next dialog in sequence). How I can check what fails on loading this dialog? I have no events defined on it. If I run installer without installing prerequisites everything is ok.
CaMat

Re: What action AI_DATA_SETTER does?

Ok, I found that installation log on prerequisites progress dialog (like on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyW2baZy9AQ) was cause of crashes.
So, I will have final question: How to debug installer except log file?
Because I found cause to this error by accident. I removed and added again prerequsites - this action also resets my prerequisites dialogs layout. And after that my installer magically started to work. So I changed layout of those dialogs step by step and finally I found what was a problem in this case.
Catalin

Re: What action AI_DATA_SETTER does?

Hello,

I'm glad you managed to find the culprit.

Normally, the AI_DATA_SETTER custom action is used to set the "CustomActionData" property, to further use it on the "Deferred" stage of the installation process, since other properties are not accessible during that.

The main way of debugging an installer is by creating a verbose log, just like you mentioned.

The above log is the only one that will give you enough information as to why the package failed.

For your prerequisites, you can create the log file through the command line support we offer in Advanced Installer.

Besides that, you can find some information in the Event Viewer/ by using a third party tool such as Process Explorer, but it's not always useful and definitely harder to manage than the log file.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”