TedN

Question about creating a duplicate Install.

I am attempting to create a new separate install based on an existing install. I have duplicated the install and renamed the product and everything works fine. The problem is if I uninstall the opriginal product, my new product is uninstalled as well. I am assuming this has something to do with a key associated with the program, but need some direction on how to change it.

Thanks
gigi

Hi,

When you create a new project starting from same AIP file all components GUID remains the same. Usually you do this to create upgrade packages or patches not when you create a new different package.

I would recommend you to start the second project from an blank AIP file because otherwise you would have to manually modify the GUID's for every component in your project.

Regards,
Gigi
TedN

Starting with a blank project is something I would prefer not to do if possible.

If I were to make a copy the previous product AIP and create unique GUID's for the PackageCode, ProductCode, and UpgradeCode wouldn't that create a unique unique install?
gigi

Hi,
If I were to make a copy the previous product AIP and create unique GUID's for the PackageCode, ProductCode, and UpgradeCode wouldn't that create a unique unique install?
Yes two packages are different if have different Product/Upgrade Code. However if you change only the Product/Upgrade Code then all your components in your packages share the same GUID's which is not recommended.

You should start from a blank AIP when you create a different package.

Regards,
Gigi

Return to “Common Problems”