somethingelse

Problem with setting registry keys during install

so I have been having quite some difficulty at setting registry keys for one of my installs and I'm rather perplexed as to why. From the registry dialog I have specified that a path and version key be set the manufacturer folder in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_COMPUTER area. On my first attempt, in advanced installer version 8.7, I was able to create these key and they appeared correctly on the computer after the install. But as created another package using version 8.9 and 9.1 those same keys no longer install correctly after the install. I found out that there is now a dialog in the registry folder properties to force creation and deletion of a registry folder. I tried to rebuild the package with these check boxes check and it seems to work well when the registry keys are requested to be placed int he "HK_UM" section of the registry. (Side note, if a user creates keys in a registry, why don't you default to creating the parent folder if it is not already present? Frankly, finding this dialog pissed me off. This should be defaulted to on, especially when the older versions had that functionality). Anyway, I currently have the "create (if absent) at install" for the HKEY_LOCAL_COMPUTER/SOFTWARE/[manufacture] check box clicked and the registry keys to be installed in that folder. But the registry keys are not installed in that location. However if I select the registry keys to be installed in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/blah/blah folder the keys are installed correctly. I have administrative access to the computer I am testing these builds on (BTW this is Windows 7). I can't understand why there is a difference between the CURRENT_USER and LOCAL_COMPUTER.

Any ideas?
Daniel

Re: Problem with setting registry keys during install

Hi,

I'm afraid that I can not reproduce your problem. I create two registries keys (i.e. PATH and VERSION), both containing one registry value (a path and a version number), under HKEY_LOCAL_COMPUTER/SOFTWARE/[Manufacturer] subkey and under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/[Manufacturer] subkey. Also, I've checked "Create (if absent) at install" option.
I tested the above scenario with both versions of Advanced Installer, 8.9 and 9.1, but I can not reproduce your behavior.

Can you please send us a test case containing the steps you have made and the .AIP (project file) created with Advanced Installer 8.9 version to support at advanced installer dot com so we can investigate it?

Also, you should mention any other relevant resources so we can replicate the issue.

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”