FergusMurray

Updater retained old version

I have both these options enabled on my project (AI 11.5)
Media->Uninstall a package with the same version (if found) ticked
Upgrades->Automatically upgrade older product versions (selected) - Uninstall old version first and then install new version

i have nightly builds generated on our build machine with version 5.0.2014.1105(yesterdays build) and 5.0.2014.1106(todays build), using scripts we set the build version using a aic file with the "SetBuild <version>" entry

I have yesterdays build installed and i use the updater to "check for new updates", i get told the updates are available and I install them, however, in the control panel i can see both yesterdays and todays versions listed in there

How can i stop this happening ?

Thanks in advanced
Fergus.
Dan

Re: Updater retained old version

Hi Fergus,

This may happens because you are using the fourth field for your product version. Please note that Windows Installer uses only the first three fields of the product version. If you include a fourth field in your product version, the installer ignores the fourth field. You can take a look on the ProductVersion property article.

Please let me know if that helped.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
FergusMurray

Thanks Dan, i'll adjust our "nightly" build versions, should the option:
Media->Uninstall a package with the same version (if found) ticked

Not have uninstalled anyway, or is that looking at something else?
Dan

Hi Fergus,

If you enable the Uninstall a package with the same version (if found) option from the Media page then if a package with the same product code and version as the current package is already installed, enabling this option will uninstall it.
However, they do not have the same option. The forth field is different.

Also, please take a look on the Automatic uninstall before installing new version forum thread which debates this subject.

If you have other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Dan
FergusMurray

Historically we have versions of our application out there with the 4th part versioning (going forward for our newer releases we can restrict to just major.minor.build)
e.g.
If we give a customer a new release on their branch of the code, we would give them

Both these versions have different Product codes however it sounds like without issuing a manual uninstall of 4.11.12.23, Advanced Installer will not uninstall the old version and it will retain 2 versions listed in the add/remove programs

Any way to avoid this?
Dan

Hi Fergus,
Any way to avoid this?
Yes, follow the steps from the Automatic uninstall before installing new version forum thread.

Please let me know if that helped.

Best regards,
Dan

Return to “Common Problems”