Koomazaz

Upgrading to 14.0.1 from 9.4 has messed up custom theme (Enhanced UI changes)

Hello!

I have encountered an issue when upgrading from Advanced Installer 9.4 to 14.0.1. Our installer requires a prerequisite check, so we must include the EXE bootstrapper. We had the "Enhanced UI" option disabled, and we built custom dialogs (with customizations) based off the Air theme. When we build with 9.4, the MSI and EXE both look and function the same, and everything was working properly.

After the upgrade (specifically the Enhanced UI changes in 13.4, I believe), Enhanced UI is required, and now the user interface looks totally screwed up when running via the EXE. Everything is fine when using the MSI.

Specifically, on the first screen of the installer, everything looks fine. On the second screen, the user selects the installation path, and the header (which says "Advanced Installer") is stretched to about halfway down the screen, just below the folder selection control. On the third screen, the header is stretched even further, all the way down to the "Back" or "Next" buttons. On the fourth screen, everything is back to normal. It's bizarre.

As I mentioned, we have heavily modified installers with many custom dialog screens, so I'd prefer to not have to switch themes and rebuild the dialogs.

I will post screen shots across the next several replies, since there is a limit of 3 attachments per post.

Is there anything we can do besides reverting to a previous version of Advanced Installer or switching themes then rebuilding all the dialogs?

Finally, I am not able to send the entire AIP file to you for diagnostics, but I can look in the AIP and send you parts of it, if you request.

Thank you for your assistance!

-------------------------------------------------
Attachments:
The first three screens when running the MSI. This is how both the MSI and EXE looked before Enhanced UI was forced to be turned on.
Good3.PNG
Good3.PNG (39.93 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
Good2.PNG
Good2.PNG (39.96 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
Good1.PNG
Good1.PNG (36.16 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
Last edited by Koomazaz on Tue May 16, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koomazaz

Re: Upgrading to 14.0.1 from 9.4 has messed up custom theme (Enhanced UI changes)

The fourth screen running with the MSI:
Good4.PNG
Good4.PNG (45.56 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
----------------------------------------------------------------

The first and second screens, running with the EXE:
Bad1.PNG
Bad1.PNG (28.03 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
Bad2.PNG
Bad2.PNG (27.09 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
Koomazaz

Re: Upgrading to 14.0.1 from 9.4 has messed up custom theme (Enhanced UI changes)

The third and fourth screens while running with an EXE:
Bad4.PNG
Bad4.PNG (36.22 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
Bad3.PNG
Bad3.PNG (18.26 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
Eusebiu

Hi,

I apologize for the delayed replay.

I'm not sure why you encounter this problem. Did you check if the dialogs' images are not somehow stretched in the "Dialogs" page? Is the problem reproducible in a new project? Can you send me your project or a sample project that reproduces the issue to support at advancedinstaller dot com, so I can investigate it?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Koomazaz

Eusebiu,

I sent you an e-mail containing a sample AIP project where the problem exists. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!
Eusebiu

Hi,

Thank you for the sample project. Indeed, I was able to reproduce the problem using it, but I couldn't reproduce the behavior in a new project and I'm not sure how the project got into this state. Do you have a step by step test case scenario that I can follow in order to reproduce the issue in a new project?

In order to get rid of the problem you can go in the "Themes" page and change the theme with another one, then change back to the "Air" theme (unfortunately the dialogs customizations will be lost in this case).

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Koomazaz

Unfortunately, these installers were first built many years ago and have undergone a ton of changes, including revisions to the UI. The sample I sent you has most of the contents ripped out, including a bunch of custom actions and special rules for navigation and validation. There is no easy way to reproduce a step-by-step guide for reproducing the issue.

Currently, my best idea to figure out what is happening would be to take a new project, try to make it as identical as possible through the Advanced Installer editor tools, then compare the textual components of the AIP file (in Notepad++ or something similar) to see what is different.

I'm not sure what else to try at this point.
Eusebiu

Hi,

After more investigations, we found that the problem appears because you removed the "Back" image button and the "Title" control from the top left of the dialogs. The header is automatically stretched until it reaches one of those controls (when Enhanced UI is enabled which is required for the "Air" theme). The only theme that does not require "Enhanced User Interface" to be enabled, is the "Classic" theme.

Best regards,
Eusebiu

Return to “Common Problems”