orion_it

Recursively copy folders from media

First, I must thank the AI developers and this forum. Both have been a tremendous help to me in the past. Thank you! :D

I have a new project that is posing a problem with AI. The client has an existing CD-ROM / browser-based application in production. They want an application to offer installing the app and all data to the hard drive. I've done this with AI, not a huge problem. The new v2 allowing me to install files from media, not cabs, was brilliant for this.

However, here's the problem: They update the CD data quite frequently, and don't want to have to come to me every time there's a change. Is it possible to make an AI package that will recursively copy ALL files from the CD to the Program directory? If not all files, at least recursively loop over individual folders/subfolders?

Is this possible now? If not, would it be a future feature?

((FYI, I realize I can do this with a custom action/script. This isn't ideal though since the installer won't be managing the files, and things like repair and disk usage estimates will not work as expected))
Cata

The MSI package can't do that. Windows Installed doesn't support it, and for good reason: each file requies a component, a GUID, etc.

However, the latest AI has the Synchronized Folders capability which does exactly what you need at the MSI build time. Check it out and let me know if it solves your problem.

Best regards,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Thanks for the response. The build time solution is good, but not an exact fit for our situation. In order to utilize the build-time solution, my client would need to have Advanced Installer on their machine, and generate their own packages. Either that, or we have to generate a new package for them each time.

Not ideal, but I'll have to think it over.

Return to “Feature Requests”