ingvarius

Restricted users get: The feature you are trying to use is

Windows Server 2003: Administrator installs a 32 bit application which registers the custom file extension PERF for the actual application. When logging in through Remote Desktop (TS), running as an administrator, and double clicking any PERF file, the application starts, and opens the PERF file just fine.

However, when logging in as an ordinary User, through Remote Desktop, and double-clicking the PERF file, the user gets:
The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable And it suggest the MSI file..

Question: Can I configure my AdvancedInstaller project in a way, so that when installed by an administrator, it can then be used by any standard user. When double-clicking a TXT file, for any user Notepad will open up. This is what I want for my application too!
Ingvar
GabrielBarbu

Re: Restricted users get: The feature you are trying to use is

Hi Ingvar,

Please make sure your application is installed per-machine from the Install Parameters page->Installation type field.
Also, make sure you have advertisement disabled for your features from the Organization page. Select your feature(s) and disable advertisement from the right pane. Rebuild and test.

Let me know if this helps.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
ingvarius

Hi Grabriel,
thanks a lot for your reply!!

Please make sure your application is installed per-machine
Yes, this option is already there, so this is not the cause of the problem.

>Also, make sure you have advertisement disabled for your features from the Organization page.
But what does this really do? How can turning off advertisement help? Isn' this just hiding options for the user during installation?

Here is what I did:
I uninstalled on the server.
I then turned off advertise, built the MSI, and installed on the server again.
I tested, and now it works for the standard user.
I uninstalled on the server again.
I installed the previous MSI, with advertising enabled.
Now it works for the standard user, even when advertising is turned on.

We cannot deliver this, we have hundreds of users out there and do not want this "try-maybe lucky", "try-maybe failure" approach.

Go back to the initial problem:
The files were are associated with our application, PERF files get our own icon, so far it is fine. We must find out why the ordinary user first got "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" message in the first case, and why it now is gone..
Ingvar
GabrielBarbu

Hi Ingvar,

The reason it's working with advertise off is because when advertise is off, the feature is actually installed for ALL users on the machine, not just the user who installed it. This means the extensions are available for every user. With the advertise option on and feature installed as advertised, other users will not have the feature (the file associations) installed. However, when they click on a file with your file extension, the install will trigger. Now, since you're installing from network, the msi may no longer be where it was when the initial installation was made, which is why it fails.

It is possible you had the "The default installation state is advertised" option selected, which is why it failed the first time. Or, the installation source may still be available and the installer is installing the feature required to make file extensions working before you noticed.. Make the installer inaccessible to the machine after you've installed, and log on to a new user to test the extensions.

Best regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

Return to “Common Problems”