gregmac

"wait until the service completes"?

What does the "Wait until the service completes" option do? It's not in the documentation (http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... rties.html)
mihai.petcu

Re: "wait until the service completes"?

Hello,
What does the "Wait until the service completes" option do?
Leaving this option disabled or enabling it causes the installer to wait a maximum of 30 seconds for the service to complete before proceeding. The wait can be used to allow additional time for a critical event to return a failure error. When the option is disabled means to wait only until the service control manager (SCM) reports that this service is in a pending state before continuing with the installation.
It's not in the documentation (http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... rties.html)
Thank you for reporting this, we will update the user guide as soon as possible with this information.

Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
gregmac

In my application, upon initial install the services won't run because they need a database configured and a connection string. I had unchecked the "start on install" because otherwise the services would fail to start, and then the installer would consider the installation failed, and rollback.
When the option is disabled means to wait only until the service control manager (SCM) reports that this service is in a pending state before continuing with the installation.
I'm not entirely clear what "in a pending state before continuing" means. In my case, if it's unchecked, will the installer not care if the services fail to start, and continue installing anyways even if they do?
mihai.petcu

Hello,
In my application, upon initial install the services won't run because they need a database configured and a connection string. I had unchecked the "start on install" because otherwise the services would fail to start, and then the installer would consider the installation failed, and rollback.
If you are having the database configured from Advanced Installer then you shouldn't worry about this because the services start after the ODBC connection takes place. If you have the database configured somehow after the StartServices standard action then you can simply go to your service in the "Services" page and uncheck the "Start" install event in its parameters pane.
In my case, if it's unchecked, will the installer not care if the services fail to start, and continue installing anyways even if they do?
No, the installer will not continue, actually the wait occurs after the service has started. Here are the exact sequence steps:
  • Windows Installer triggers SCM to do the operation(start, stop, etc)
  • Windows Installer waits for SCM to finish the operation
  • if the "Wait until the service completes" option is enabled => wait max 30s
  • get operation result
  • move on
Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”