reman

Autostart installed program??

Hi all!

When the installer is done...how do I start the installed software or give the user the option??

Thanks!
reman
gigi

Hi,
When the installer is done...how do I start the installed software or give the user the option??
If you referee to launch your application after installation then you can do this by ticking the "Launch Your Application" check box from "ExitDialog" in the Dialogs page. Note that the dialog editor is only available in 4.0 enterprise edition of AI. If you don't have 4.0 enterprise edition then you can do this from "Installation Complete" dialog in the Dialogs page.

If this is not what you want to do then please give me more details and i'll be glad to help you.

Regards,
Gigi
reman

Hi!

Thanks! I am using the Simple mode. I cannot afford the price of the other modes. Is there a way around this?

reman
gigi

Hi,

I'm afraid that you can't do this with a simple project. To use "Launch Your Application" feature involves a professional license as minimum configuration.

Regards,
Gigi
miked

Hi,

Can you "launch" one of your installed shortcuts? Our shortcuts run a pre-installed .EXE so it's not available from the "Choose Installation Dialog" - also we add a bunch of arguments to the shortcuts.

I tried a workaround by dragging the shortcut to an install folder, but it doesn't seem show up when I try to browse for it from the "Choose Installation Dialog" and changing the "file types" to "All files".

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm new to your product.

Regards,
Mike
gigi

Hi,

If you want to launch an external application (not installed with your package) at the end of the installation then here's how you can do this:
Switch to "Custom Actions" page and add a new "Exe With Working Dir" custom action under the "InstallFinalize" standard action. You can make "InstallFinalize" visible by right clicking on "InstallExecuteSequance" and choosing "Show Standard Action->Before Finalization->InstallFinalize". Edit the "Full Path" field with the path to the external exe application. For example:

Code: Select all

c:\yourapplication.exe commandline
Use following options for the custom action:
1. Execution Properties: Asynchronous execution, do not wait for return
2. Execution Option: Immediate execution
3. Scheduling Options: Always Execution
4. Execution Condition: Not Installed

If you have any more questions I'll be glad to answer them.

Regards,
Gigi
miked

Gigi,
Thanks for the info - it works great. Now, how do I make it run AFTER the install is completed, that is, AFTER the User clicks "Finish" on the final dialog?
gigi

Hi,
Now, how do I make it run AFTER the install is completed, that is, AFTER the User clicks "Finish" on the final dialog?
You can do this if you have 4.0 Enterprise edition. Here's how can this be achieved:
First move the above custom action under the "UI Custom Actions" section in the "Custom Actions" page. Switch to "Dialogs" page and select "ExitDialog". Under the "Finish" button add a new "Published Event" with the following options:
1. Name: DoAction
2. Argument: name of the above custom action

Regards,
Gigi
miked

Thanks, we're only at "professional" level...

Return to “Common Problems”