scottmcd9999

Including support DLL and other files during Updates

I'm using Advanced Installer 15.1

I'm deploying a program that include the Devexpress Winforms components. They encompass quite a bit of space (65 mb or so), and of course I include them on my initial installation. For Updates, however, I'd like to include them ONLY when updates are needed for those DevExpress components. For example, right now I'm using version18.1 of the Devexpress files, and I've of course included those in my initial deployment. However, when I make changes to the program codebase and update (and have not updated the DevExpress components), I want to be able to send ONLY my program changes, and NOT all the DevExpress components.

Also, I need to be able to update those DevExpress components when needed. For example, DevExpress just came out with a minor update which includes features I'd like to implement in my program. The new version would be 18.2, and I'd need to deploy those in an upcoming update.

Finally, I need to be able to completely uninstall those DevExpress components if the user decides to uninstall my application.

How do I do that?

Thanks,

Scott McDaniel
Daniel

Re: Including support DLL and other files during Updates

Hello Scott and welcome to our forums,

To implement your setup configuration I would recommend you to package the DevExpress components into a separate setup project and add the built output DevExpress setup as a feature based prerequisite to your main application project setup.

Then to configure the main setup project uninstall the DevExpress package on uninstall you can proceed like this:

1. go to "Prerequisites" page and select the DevExpress prereq
2. in the right pane go to "Setup Files" tab
3. check the "Uninstall using this command line" option from "Maintenance command line" section

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
scottmcd9999

Thanks very much for your help, Daniel. Sounds like a solid approach, I'll give that a go!
Daniel

You are always welcome Scott .

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”