arcamtrygg

Files created during bamboo build is not included

Hi!

We have a product that we use Advanced Installer to build the installation package for. However, we have stumbled upon a problem that we cannot seem to solve by our own.

Our process looks (in short) like this:
  1. Checkout from Git (where also the .aip file is located)
  2. Build (and test) the solution
  3. Generate resource files
  4. Build setup (using AI command line)
  5. Publish
The build generates the bulk of the files and these are included without problem. It is the resource files that weird things happen with. English is the base language, but we need to include French and Italian too. However, French seems to be fine, but Italian resource files, despite being created in the same proces at the same time as the French files, is not included.

I tested to do a full build. Then I logged on manually into the build server and opened the gui for AI. I then did a rebuild of the setup process, which rendered in the same result. On whim, I removed the Italian files and added them again, and then did a rebuild. To my surprise, then everything are included as it should. Happy to having solved it, i pushed the new .aip file to the repository and did a new full build. Unfortunately this did not solve the automatic build. Each time I did rebuild after I removed and readded the missing files, everything worked, though.

I have looked through the command line api, and found that I could remove the files and add them again in the script. However, I consider this to be a last resort, so I haven't tested if it works yet. If some filenames are changed, or files are added or removed, this will break the script. I could not either find a way to remove files using wild cards, even though it's just the lesser of two evils doing this by folder instead of file by file.

So, finally, my questions:
  1. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
  2. Does anyone have some tips on how to proceed?
  3. Does anyone have a pointer or two onto where we might have made a wrong turn or so?
Hope someone can help!
Niklas Trygg
Software developer at
Arcam AB - a part of GE Additive
Eusebiu

Re: Files created during bamboo build is not included

Hi Niklas and welcome to our forums.

I'm not sure why you encounter this problem. Can you open your project in Advanced Installer, then click the "Options" toolbar button and uncheck the "Speed up builds by caching unchanged archives" option from the "Build" tab and see if this solves the problem?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
arcamtrygg

Hi there!
Just tested out what you proposed, but, sadly, I could not make it work :(

Will continue testing. Any tips are appreciated and welcome!
Niklas Trygg
Software developer at
Eusebiu

Hi Niklas,

This is strange. Do you execute all the five steps of your build process from a script file? If so, are you sure that the Italian files are not generated after the AIP build process starts?

Are the folders that contain those missing files synchronized in your project? If so, can you refresh them before build and see if it helps? Also, are you sure that no exclusions are set on those folders?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
arcamtrygg

Hi again!
The points 2-5 is made from the same script, and it is not running in parallel. Therefore I think I can say I'm positively sure that it should be generated before the AIP build process starts, but since I'm no expert on powershell, I am not 100% sure. I'll look into it.
The interesting thing, as I described in the original post, is that if I afterwards go into the gui, when I am sure the files are created, then I still cannot build the AIP project with the Italian files. It is only when I remove them and re-add them they are included.

I am unsure about syncronization. I tried to do a refresh via the command line and the /RefreshSync command, but that rendered in a build error. I will read a bit more of it, and see if I can understand how to do that better, if there were something I missed.
Niklas Trygg
Software developer at
Eusebiu

Hi Niklas,

Can you please tell me when you see that the Italian files are not included in the package? Do you verify the package with any tool or try to install it?

If you try to install it, can you send me a verbose log of the installation, so I can investigate it? Also can you send me your project to support at advancedinstaller dot com and the name of some files that are not included in the build?

Best regards,
Eusebiu
arcamtrygg

Hi there!

I can see it both when installed and by doing /extract on the exe file. In the result of the extract, the French files are there, but not the Italian.

I will check with my superior what I may send.

Best regards,
Niklas Trygg
Software developer at
arcamtrygg

We have finally found the solution, and I am happy to report that there is no hidden or weird bug in the Advanced Installer program!

The problem was in our powershell wiz kid hiding a small little (unlogged) switch to an older checkin since I did not run it during night hours. The scrip I was checking was supposed to be run every night, producing a release daily, but testing it out was not as easy, it seemed. *sigh*

Thank you all, and especially Eusebiu, for the help!

Kind, and humble, regards,
Niklas Trygg
Software developer at
Eusebiu

You're welcome Niklas. I'm glad you found and solved the problem.

If you encounter other problems, just let us know.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Catalin

Hello,

This was fixed in version 15.6 of Advanced Installer released on January 8th, 2019.

Kind regards,

Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”