Abhinay

where do i store the exe for the installer to get it while building in CI CD

I am using Azure Devops, i have got options to add tasks +Build Advanced Installer package and +Use Advanced Installer,
where do i store the exe for the installer to get it while building in CI CD, Since i have kept the project in GitHub, the Files which i am referring to in "Files and Folders" section resides on my hard drive, How do i store and show the path to that Exe in CI CD
Daniel

Re: where do i store the exe for the installer to get it while building in CI CD

Hello,

I assume you already use our Advanced Installer Extension for Visual Studio and the related EXE files (added in "Files and Folders" page of your setup project) are the output files of your application projects that alongside of your setup project are part of the same solution (e.g. added in the same Git repository). If so, then you can simply import your Git repository into your Azure DevOps account.

Afterwards you can build your setup project in two ways:

1. building the entire VS solution including your setup project (this way the setup project will be built as part of the VS solution build); for this approach you should make sure your Azure pipeline includes an "Advanced Installer Tool Installer" task before the SLN build task

2. configuring a dedicated build task which will build only the setup project; this way you should make sure that your Azure pipeline includes one or more build tasks that build all the VS application projects that generate the output files (referenced in "Files and Folders" page of your setup project); the above build tasks should be executed before the setup project build task; also for this approach you should use an "Advanced Installer Build task"

Both ways the output files (of your VS app projects) will be generated on the fly and should be available for the setup project build operation too.

If this is still of no help, please give us more details about your build scenario.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Abhinay

Re: where do i store the exe for the installer to get it while building in CI CD

If i have files in the CI pipeline and i get that files as input to the advanced installer pipeline, How do i add those files in "Files and Folders" automatically from the output of other pipeline, where files keep changing for each release..How do i give path to that file in "Files and Folder" so that it picks up the latest files that i want to make it as exe.
Daniel

Hello,

To do so you could just manually add (e.g. using Advanced Installer on your machine) the related files in "Files and Folders" page of your setup project. When manually adding the files they should reside on disk at the same relative path (relative to the .AIP project file) as they will be in the repository of your Azure DevOps project.

Then you should just save your setup project and upload it in your Azure DevOps repository. From now on each time you build your Advanced Installer setup project the files added in "Files and Folders" page will be included in the setup package using their latest version on disk and they will be referenced from a path relative to the .AIP project file.

Hope this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”