jmoleary

AI re-selects "Require Internet Connection" on me

This has happened to me 3 or 4 times now over the past 2 years.

1. I uncheck the "Run only if an active Internet Connection is Found" checkbox in my "Launch Conditions" page.
2. I build/test the installer all is well. No connection is required.
3. At some point in the future I get reports from clients in the field that the installer is requiring an internet connection.
4. I go back to the AI and sure enough, the box is checked again.

I am the only person who uses AI. The only one who edits our project file and I have never, ever checked that box.

It just happened to me again. Looking at how the project file changed, I see that I did the following:

1. Added a new "powershell" launch condition requirement.
2. It was the first time I had saved my project file since I had updated from AI 19.0 to AI 19.1 so those version lines changed.

All I did was add the new requirement but somehow AI saved that I now needed an internet connection again.

This line:

Code: Select all

<ROW Property="AI_PREDEF_LCONDS_PROPS" Value="AI_DETECTED_VIRTUAL_MACHINE;AI_DETECTED_ADMIN_USER"/>
Changed to this

Code: Select all

<ROW Property="AI_PREDEF_LCONDS_PROPS" Value="AI_DETECTED_VIRTUAL_MACHINE;AI_DETECTED_ADMIN_USER;AI_DETECTED_INTERNET_CONNECTION;AI_DETECTED_WINDOWS_POWERSHELL_VERSION"/>
Even though I did not check that box.

I hope someone can look at this
Liviu

Re: AI re-selects "Require Internet Connection" on me

Hello,

I'm not able to reproduce this using the "PowerShell" launch condition.

I'm not sure why that happens but may be related to the prerequisites, if you have any.

Basically, everytime when you add a prerequisite from our predefined list, the "Run only if active Internet connection is found" option is automatically checked in the "Launch conditions" page.

When that option is automatically checked you will see a notification in "Notifications" tab and in the bottom corner.
internet connection.png
internet connection.png (240.46 KiB) Viewed 3502 times

If that is not the case, could you please give me some more details about how to reproduce this issue (perhaps a test-case which I can follow)?

Best regards,
Liviu

I've had this same issue occasionally over the years, and it just happened to me again today. It always seems to happen when I install a new version of AI (I just upgraded from AI 18.8.1 to 19.1 prior to building my most recent installer), although it doesn't happen every time I upgrade. Perhaps only when updating to the next major version?
Last edited by dybalabj on Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dybalabj

Also, while I do have prerequisites in my installer, none of them require internet access. This is intended to be a fully offline installer.
dybalabj

Sorry, I just read the reply in more detail. In my latest installer, I added the .NET 4.8 prerequisite, but I chose to download and include it in my installer rather than download it at install time. I don't recall seeing the notification at the bottom, but I may have missed it.
Liviu

Hello,
Also, while I do have prerequisites in my installer, none of them require internet access.
I added the .NET 4.8 prerequisite, but I chose to download and include it in my installer rather than download it at install time.
That option is checked automatically just in case the user presses "No" when asked whether he wants to include the prerequisite or not in the setup.

Basically, that option is checked when you add any prerequisite from our "Predefined Prerequisites" list.

To avoid this situation, you can use the "New Package Prerequisite" option, but that means you have to select the desired package from the disk.

Please have a look on the Setup requires Internet conection if I add an prerequisite forum thread which debates the same question.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”