TBahlert

How to create one patch for a 32 bit and a 64 bit version

Dear,

I have created a mixed 32/64-bit package.
This works fine.
Now I have a new version of this package and I want to have ONE patch (32 and 64 bit).
I can create successfully a patch for the 32 bit version and a patch for the 64 bit version.
Now I have two patches but I want to have ONE (this is for the online update mechanism).

If I add the 64 bit version into the patch for the 32 bit version, I get the error 'ERROR: UpgradedImages.Upgraded = '.....': PackageCode {.....} is not unique'

Is this possible to have ONE patch?
mihai.petcu

Re: How to create one patch for a 32 bit and a 64 bit versio

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Windows Installer does not support mixed 32/64bit packages. Despite that, we add the mixed 32/64bit package functionality by creating .EXE installers. Since patches are a Windows Installer specific feature and mixed packages are Advanced Installer specific, they cannot work together.

You could create a wrapper that conditionally installs the patches. Stay tuned for our next release because it'll have a new elegant approach to this.

The release should be soon, but if you cannot wait and want a temporary workaround please let us know.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
TBahlert

Excuse but I have thought I receive a email as soon as an answer is written.

Thanks for the information. I will wait and have a look at your approach...
Can you tell me which release version?
mihai.petcu

Hello,
Excuse but I have thought I receive a email as soon as an answer is written.
Just enable the "Notify me when a reply is posted" option before posting and you should get this behavior.
Can you tell me which release version?
The release is already out! The new feature you can look into is the "Import" -> "Create MSI from EXE packages" project type.

You can try to add the patches by following the project type wizard. Afterwards, simply add the appropriate Install Conditions -> Supported Windows Versions for each of them from the Prerequisites page -> Install Conditions tab.

All the best,
Mihai
TBahlert

Thanks. It is working.

Two last question:
This new project is only a DUMMY project and does not need to register to the windows installer?
There is no effect to this, correct?

I use your Online Updater and this update is downloading this DUMMY project and starts the installation.
But now the Online Updater tells me 'Some of the updates failed to install properly.' but the main patch installation is still running.
It seems that the new DUMMY project is not waiting for the patch installation.
How I can tell the DUMMY project to wait?
mihai.petcu

Hello,
This new project is only a DUMMY project and does not need to register to the windows installer? There is no effect to this, correct?
If the "Register product with Windows Installer" option is not checked in Product Details Tab you cannot remove, repair or reinstall the application by using the Control Panel, the Windows Installer command-line options or the Windows Installer application programming interface (API).
But now the Online Updater tells me 'Some of the updates failed to install properly.' but the main patch installation is still running.
If you receive the "Some of the updates failed to install properly" message after installing an update, most likely you specified an incorrect detection criteria in the Update Properties page of the updates configuration project.

All the best,
Mihai
TBahlert

Hello,

The DUMMY project is only a wrapper and shall have no effect to the system.
(The final project is already installed and I just want to patch this project calling the wrapper project.)

The problem with the online updater is as follows:
The online updater is checking the version in the registry after installing and this version is not up to date because the installer for the final project (patch) is still running.
The wrapper is not waiting for the final project (patch)!

Attached a small video.

updater.ini file:
[1.22.1.001]
Name=TEST
URL=http://..........
Version=1.22.1.001
UpdatedApplicationVersions=<=1.21.1.001
Depends=1.21.1.001

Size=1148184
ReleaseDate=17/04/2012
MD5=d60ddf0b09068f1760e981dc782fd182

RegistryKey=HKLM\SOFTWARE..........\Version
Flags=NoCache|IsPatch

Enhancement=TEST.
Attachments
error.zip
(635.44 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
mihai.petcu

Hello,

Indeed, that feature doesn't seem to work with the auto-updater.

Let me clarify the options you can try to solve this:

1. Create your own .EXE wrapper that downloads the corresponding patch depending on the target machine architecture and installs it.

2. Develop your own custom .EXE that checks the target machine architecture and if the patch is already installed. You can add this .EXE as the "Install Detection" criteria from Update Properties Tab in your updates configuration project.

After later discussions with the development team we'll consider adding predefined support for this functionality in a future version.

All the best,
Mihai
TBahlert

Thanks for the support.

Only an idea my side (The Advanced Installer could support this in this manner):
The user creates only one Patch-Project and can add the 32 and/or 64 bit files in this project.
(Maybe the user can add only the EXE setup file of a normal project with the package type 'Mixed 32/64 bit.....' and the Advanced Installer unpacks this file automatically.)

Finally the Advanced Installer creates a EXE (patch)setup file for these files (Like a normal project with the package type 'Mixed 32/64-bit.....').

Once again, many thanks for the quick support.
mihai.petcu

Thank you for your suggestion, the development team will consider it.

All the best,
Mihai

Return to “Building Installers”