cgilley

Intro questions - multiple target directories and properties

I'm still trying to get my head around Advanced Installer. Maybe it's my pure developer perspective or maybe the help support is lacking, I'm not sure yet.

First, I have a very simple application that should live in x86 land. Working files need to go in a location that a non-priv'd user can access. For example, the program goes into c:\Program Files (x86)\MyApp and data files go to the user's desktop. How can this be done?

Second, I see in the assorted dialogs things like this: "[ProgramFilesFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]"

Now I understand that Advanced Installer substitutes for these values. Are these properties? If not, what are they? Is there a definitive list of these tokens?

Appreciate any help to shed my ignorance. Oh, I'm running a professional license under Windows 7 Professional.
cgilley

Re: Intro questions - multiple target directories and proper

As I learn more, I'll update. Those [values] are properties, and I have blundered across a list of them in "select a property" dialog. Finally located the help content in property picker dialog, and then locate in the toc...
Daniel

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

In order to achieve what you want you can proceed like this:
- Go to "Install Parameters" page and set the "Package Type" to 32-bit package type and the "Installation Type" to per-machine.
- Go to "Files and Folders" page and add the application files under "Application Folder" and the data files under "Desktop" folder.
- Build and run your project.

Also, you can take a look on our "Folder Paths" article.

Let us know if this helps, otherwise please give use more details about your scenario.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
cgilley

:D

Daniel - that is so obvious I have to slap myself. Thanks for pointing it out.

cg
Daniel

You're welcome. Glad to help.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”