wavering

Does Advanced Installer install VB6 Runtime Files?

I have just started using Advanced Installer so forgive me if this is a dumb question!

I have a project written in Visual Basic 6 (yes, I know it is now obsolete but I am very slow) so I have launched the appropriate wizard and it all seems to work. I notice that it has extracted a list of exe, dll and ocx files from my References and Components and that all looks fine.

But I also notice that none of the Runtime files seem to be there. Microsoft (bless their cotton socks) suggest ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192461) that the following runtime files are needed (or to be more precise, installed by VBRun60.exe) to run a VB6 project

ASycFilt.dll 2.30.4261.1
ComCat.dll 4.71.1460.1
MSVBVM60.dll 6.0.81.76
OLEAut32.dll 2.30.4261.1
OLEPro32.dll 5.0.4261.1
STDOLE2.tlb 2.30.4261.1

ADVPack.dll 4.71.1015.0
VBRun60.inf N/A
W95Inf16.dll 4.71.704.0
W95Inf32.dll 4.71.0016.0

So, do I need to add this lot to the list or does Advanced Installer do that automatically?

Supplementary, I assume that Advanced Installer only overwrites dll, exes etc if they are later versions. Or does it do a prompt (guaranteed to confuse the innocent)

Thanks for your help
Daniel

Re: Does Advanced Installer install VB6 Runtime Files?

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.
So, do I need to add this lot to the list or does Advanced Installer do that automatically?
In order to achieve this you can add the Visual Basic 6 Runtime package as a prerequisite to your main project. Also, you can use our Visual Basic 6 Runtime predefined prerequisite package.
Supplementary, I assume that Advanced Installer only overwrites dll, exes etc if they are later versions. Or does it do a prompt (guaranteed to confuse the innocent)
Please keep in mind that Windows Installer uses several File Versioning Rules when it decides whether to overwrite an existing file. Also, you can explicitly configure file overwrite behavior.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
wavering

Daniel
I think the problem is that I used the Visual basic 6 template and that does NOT seem to allow for Prerequisites. It is clear, on further reading that I really need to use the professional Template because that DOES allow for Prerequisites (indeed, the example you use is a VB6 product)

Maybe you could check this out - you guys have spent so much time with this that you do not see it with the same eyes as a Newcomer ... we tend to blunder around in the dark and know nothing unless it is spelled out (if you ever use my product you will have the same problem!)

But thanks anyway, this looks like a good product

Thank you
Bob
Daniel

Hello Bob,

In order to achieve what you want you can upgrade your project type from "Home -> Options -> Project Type" tab. Then you can add the related prerequisite package on our "Prerequisite" page.

If you have any questions let us know.

All the best,
Daniel
wavering

Hi
I think you meant "Project --> Options --> Project Type --> Professional"

That means I have to buy the Professional version, I guess!

Thanks anyway
Bob
Daniel

Hello Bob,
That means I have to buy the Professional version, I guess!
Yes, in order to create and build a Professional project type you need a Profesional or above license type. Also, if you don't have an Advanced Installer license you can purchase one from our Purchase page.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Building Installers”