ssaitala

Behaviour of 32-bit jre on prepacked in mixed mode installer

Hi,

I am trying to install "Mixed 32/64-bit installers" from the Advanced Installer 9.8. As I see, if we select the mixed mode (32 and 64 bit) and we run the installer, then it will work fine with 32 and 64 bit machines. But I have a problem, I am also giving the prepacked jre with the installer, so that on the client machine, the respective jre is also installed.

***The Problem***
If suppose I am working on a 32-bit machine, then I will have 32 bit jre. Now, I will select the mixed mode (32 and 64 bit) for the installer and attach my 32 bit jre to it. Now, as we already know, the installer will work fine in both 32 and 64 bit. But now, how will the jre behave on 64 bit machine during installation as I have only 32 bit jre attached to the installer.
Daniel

Re: Behaviour of 32-bit jre on prepacked in mixed mode insta

Hello,

On a 64-bit machine the 32-bit version of JRE will be installed as a 32-bit application if it will be launched during main installation package. If you want to install a 64-bit version of JRE on x64 machines and a 32-bit version on x86 machines, then you can add JRE x64 and JRE x86 as prerequisites to your main project and configure them, in "Prerequisites -> Install Conditions -> Supported Windows Versions" section, to run only on 32-bit or 64-bit machines.

Let us know if this helps, otherwise please give us more details about your scenario (maybe exemplify).

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ssaitala

Hi Daniel,

Thankyou. Hope the solution provided by you works for me. I have few clarifications on the soultion provided by you below.

1) For selecting the jre to be bundled with the package, we give the currently installed jre on the machine. (if myen is 32 bit machine, I will have only 32 bit jre). As you mentioned in the below point ( ""Prerequisites -> Install Conditions -> Supported Windows Versions" section, to run only on 32-bit or 64-bit machines. " ), here I expect we can give both the 32-bit and 64-bit installed jre's.

My question is, how can we mention both the jre's (because the installed on my machine will be either a 32-bit or a 64-bit).

Can you please explain more in detail about how do we need to mention both the jre's (32 bit and 64 bit) ""Prerequisites -> Install Conditions -> Supported Windows Versions" section, to run only on 32-bit or 64-bit machines. "

Thanks,
ssaitala
Daniel

Hello,

In order to achieve what you want you can download JRE x64 and JRE x86 packages and add them as pre-install prerequisites to your project.

Here's attached a sample project, created using version 9.8 of Advanced Installer, which implements a similar scenario.
sample.zip
(4.16 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
If you have any questions let us know.

All the best,
Daniel
ssaitala

Thankyou Daniel for the exact information.
Daniel

You're welcome. Glad to help.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Building Installers”