Tian

Web Installer

Dear all,

I tried to create a web installer. Its works fine but during the test installation the installer can not find the network address. I test many things but always happen that the installer can not access the website for download. The MSI can not download the cab files.

Any idea whch I can test more or is a bug? If I copy the address in my internet explore, the IE can download it.

Bye
Thomas
Catalin

Re: Web Installer

Hello Thomas and welcome to our forums,

I have tested this just down and everything worked as expected on my end.

I can think of few scenarios which I will more into in the lines to come:

1. You do not provide a direct download link for the MSI.

Let's consider Advanced Installer in our case. If you go to the "Downloads" page of Advanced Installer:

https://www.advancedinstaller.com/download.html

You will notice that the download does not automatically start. You will have to click on the "Download" button in order for the download to start.

DownloadAI.png
DownloadAI.png (149.37 KiB) Viewed 2817 times

However, please note that, if you provide this link to Advanced Installer, it will not know to download the file.

Therefore, we must provide an automatic download link. For instance, if you click on the "Download" button and then go to "History" --> "Downloads" (CTRL+J in Chrome), you will be able to see the automatic download link there:

RealDownloadlink.png
RealDownloadlink.png (55.58 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
As you can see, the links are different.

Obviously, this is just an example. Hope this makes sense.

2. Make sure that there is not any firewall rule that may be blocking the executable from downloading the MSI file.

3. Similar to the second point, make sure that there is not any AntiVirus software that blocks the executable from downloading the MSI file.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Tian

Hi,

I think you solution is not the correct answer. I start the ".exe" and it can find automatically the ".msi" file on my website. So the URL should be correct in the installer. If not, how can it find my MSI file, right?

But the MSI program can not find the ".cab" files anymore. If I copy it in my browser it will start to downloadf the "cab" files directly.

Thanks for your effort.

Bye
Thomas

P.S. I just see this post. I created a double post. So you can delete the other one if its possible?
Attachments
Bug1.PNG
Bug1.PNG (12.42 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
Catalin

Hello Thomas,

Did you upload the .CAB file near the .MSI file on the website?

If so, it should be downloaded automatically.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me the following resources by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com:

- a copy of the .AIP file

- a download link for the .EXE web installer

Best regards,
Catalin
Tian

Hi,

I send to you an email.

Bye
Catalin

Hello Thomas,

I have tested this and I was indeed able to replicate the behavior with the provided setup.

Could you please have a look over the following forum thread, follow the instructions and let me know the outcome:

Web Installer unable to download CAB file

Unfortunately, the discussion with Nills did not conclude, but maybe you will find that information useful.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”