Lubert

Multiple Instances: Parameters

Hello,

I created an installer just for a database setup. I marked the necessary install parameters,
such as username, password, hostname etc., as persistent.

Because we need more than one database instance I also checked "Generate instances at installation time" and "Generate new GUIDs" for installing
components" in the "Multiple Instances"-Setup.

But if I install my database more than one time, only the parameters of the last installation will be kept in the registry (under the upgrade-code I think).

Can't each instance hold its own parameters?

Thanks for help,

Lubert
Catalin

Re: Multiple Instances: Parameters

Hello Lubert,

Please note that this is the normal behavior, as the "Set persistent property" option's logic is to store the properties under a predefined key.

Since you install one more instance, the same key will be used, therefore the value will be overwritten.

Usually, the "Set persistent property" is used to "remember" the property during a major upgrade (e.g. so the user will not have to re-enter his information in the dialogs once again).

However, in your case, you are using the "Generate instances at installation time option", therefore you can not author a major upgrade. These two options are mutually exclusive (source - "Multiple Instances" article).

With that being said, I am not quite sure why you would need the property to be persistent.

If you still want to store the properties in the registries, you can do so by adding them in the "Registry" page.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”