jmoleary

Confused about Temporary Files and Folders during Install

At the end of my installer, I want to silently run a setup for a custom printer driver. The driver setup is about 20 files. So I want my installer to basically put the install files somewhere -- like the user's temp folder -- then use a custom-build step to run the setup.exe silently, then delete all the install files and folders

From what I read it seems that I need to add a temporary folder to my list of files and folders in AI. So that's what I tried to do. I'm certain I am doing this all wrong so I am asking someone to point me in the right direction

First I looked at my files and folders tree. On a Windows PC, The existing temp folder lives under what AI calls User Profile\Local Application Data. I didn't see a temp folder in AI's tree so I right-clicked and created one. This is what I see

Then I right clicked that "Temp" folder and chose "Add Temporary Folder"

I was expecting AI to just have me name the temporary folder but it wanted me to navigate to an existing folder. OK, so I did that. I navigated to where I store this custom print driver setup and chose that same folder.

When I was done -- well it looks like nothing happened. What I see is exactly as you see in the image above. Sure, I still see the "Temp" folder I created there but there's nothing in it. It remains... faded in appearance as well. It's as if I didn't add anything.

So I tried adding it the folder again but no, AI thinks that temporary folder is there with all of its contents. It complains that I'm adding it twice.

So why can I not see anything? Will the files be there at install time? Am I doing this wrong?
Catalin

Re: Confused about Temporary Files and Folders during Install

Hello,

The "Add temporary folder" option is used in case you want to add more files as "temporary files" in your project, without needing to pick them one by one.

The temporary folder will automatically be added under "Windows Volume" --> "Temporary".

At install time, the folder should be resolved to something like:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Catalin\AppData\Local\Temp
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”