tjasher

Choose install data source location?

Greetings,

We are wanting to have an install with the ability to have the user select if they want to do a "local" install or choose to install from "the cloud."

If the user chooses a local install, we want to download the latest/newest install data files from the cloud and then store the files locally so they can take the install files to another computer without cloud access or possibly even an air-gapped computer on a thumb drive and run the freshly downloaded install data files and install/update the latest version of the program on the other computer.

Is this even possible with Advanced Installer?

Regards,
TJ
Catalin

Re: Choose install data source location?

Hello Tj and welcome to our forums,

It is indeed possible to create, using Advanced Installer, a web-based installer that will download the resources from the server and then proceed with the installation.

For more information about this, please refer to the following article:

How do I create a web-based installation package?

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
tjasher

Catalin,

The answer you provided does not answer the specific question I asked.

Can Advanced Installer make an install that lets the user choose to EITHER install from a web package download OR install from local files.

If local install is chosen then the installer pulls the files from the web and then has a local copy to run from so that it never needs to be pulled from the web again unless the user chooses to pull a new web package file.

I want the user to be presented with a dialog box and they choose which type of install they want to do.

Is this possible?

Regards,
TJ
Catalin

Hello Tj,
The answer you provided does not answer the specific question I asked.
Sorry for this! It looks like I misunderstood your request here.

This is not supported by default, but with a little tweak I think we can make it work.

I am thinking we can take advantage of the "online prerequisite" support.

To achieve all this, we would need a bootstrapper package in which we add the same package twice as feature-based prerequisites - one locally and one "URL Prerequisite".

After doing so, we can have a new dialog in the bootstrapper package that ask the user whether he wants to download the resources or install locally.

This can be achieved through a "RadioButton Group" control.

After that, we can conditionally install the two prerequisites (either online or locally) based on the user's choice.

How to conditionally install a prerequisite based on the user's selection

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”