liam.cannon

Updater.exe service not running after first update.

Hello,

I've been trying to require forced updates for users upon launching an app by calling /silentall -reducedgui with the updater executable.

Code: Select all

Process process = Process.Start(updaterModulePath, "/silentall -reducedgui");
This works perfectly going from update 1.0.0 to update 1.0.1, but when trying to go from update 1.0.1 -> 1.0.2 the service doesn't seem to start. Whenever I click on the updater exe on my vm the update is installed fine every time. The same is said for if I use /checknow, going from 1.0.0 -> 1.0.1 -> 1.0.2 always displays the full update menu. I generate a new product code each time and use a registry value for update install detection.

Process process = Process.Start(updaterModulePath, "/checknow -minuseractions");
I've been seeing "Updater service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly." in the event viewer each time but the update has always completed successfully. When running the app on version 1.0.1 with 1.0.2 available I'd expect to have the update ran with the exact same behavior as the previous update.

My issue seemed somewhat similar to https://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50232. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Liam
liam.cannon

Re: Updater.exe service not running after first update.

I was able to figure it out, in the build configuration Update Behavior I set "check and prompt the user to install updates", Minimize user interaction. When I call the updater.exe I use

Process process = Process.Start(updaterModulePath, "/silentall -reducedgui -nofreqcheck");
Liviu

Re: Updater.exe service not running after first update.

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for your followup on this.

It's great to hear that you solved this.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”