FergusMurray

Enable ASP.NET v4 in ISA and CSI Restrictions

Im expanding our installer and we are now deploying some asp.net 4 features

Is there a way in AI to set the IIS "ISA and CSI Restrictions" to be allowed for .net v4 (both 32 and 64 bit)?

Im also after some advice, since now our installer contains some selectable features that require .net 4.5, is there a way to check the prerequiste for that ONLY if they choose to install that feature (my deployment contains some features that are asp.net 2, some that are asp.net 3.5.1, some that are asp.net 4.0 and now some that are asp.net 4.5 - a mess i know but thats what i have to deal with!). Looks like the prequisite check is prior to feature selection, is there anyway to achive this prerequisite check only on choosing to install the feature that requires it? (i dont want to force all that install it to have to download and install all the .net versions)

Thanks
Daniel

Re: Enable ASP.NET v4 in ISA and CSI Restrictions

Hello,
Is there a way in AI to set the IIS "ISA and CSI Restrictions" to be allowed for .net v4 (both 32 and 64 bit)?
I'm afraid I don't fully understand what you mean. The ISAPI and CGI restrictions should be automatically added at install time for the selected ASP.NET version of your web application. Can you please select the desired ASP.NET version for your web application in the installation project file -> IIS page -> ASP.NET tab and, then check on target machine if the ISAPI and CGI restrictions (for selected ASP.NET version) are added in IIS after you install the setup package?
Im also after some advice, since now our installer contains some selectable features that require .net 4.5, is there a way to check the prerequiste for that ONLY if they choose to install that feature (my deployment contains some features that are asp.net 2, some that are asp.net 3.5.1, some that are asp.net 4.0 and now some that are asp.net 4.5 - a mess i know but thats what i have to deal with!). Looks like the prequisite check is prior to feature selection, is there anyway to achive this prerequisite check only on choosing to install the feature that requires it? (i dont want to force all that install it to have to download and install all the .net versions)
In order to achieve this you can try to add .Net Framework as a feature-based prerequisite and, then implement a similar scenario like it is described in our "Show a custom feature selection dialog" how to.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
FergusMurray

Daniel wrote:I'm afraid I don't fully understand what you mean. The ISAPI and CGI restrictions should be automatically added at install time for the selected ASP.NET version of your web application. Can you please select the desired ASP.NET version for your web application in the installation project file -> IIS page -> ASP.NET tab and, then check on target machine if the ISAPI and CGI restrictions (for selected ASP.NET version) are added in IIS after you install the setup package?
The installer we have deploys potentially multiple web applications and web services (based on feature selection) and when i choose to install the .net 4 one(in AI i have the ASP.NET version set to 4.0.30319 on its virtual directory) the ISA and CSI restrictions were present in IIS but their "restriction" was set to "not allowed", in order to run the apps we need them set to "allowed"

I'll check out the feature based prequisites, thanks.
FergusMurray

Daniel wrote:In order to achieve this you can try to add .Net Framework as a feature-based prerequisite and, then implement a similar scenario like it is described in our "Show a custom feature selection dialog" how to.
I've tried that and it seems to correctly restrict the checking for pre-requisite unless the .net 4.5 is install

However on systems that dont have it, it fails to install it and give a message saying it didnt complete sucessfully
"Warining 4154 .Net Framework 4.5 prerequisite was not correctly installed. Continue installation of <productname>"

Code: Select all

MSI (s) (FC:E0) [14:05:17:363]: Doing action: AI_VerifyPrereq
Action 14:05:17: AI_VerifyPrereq. Verifying prerequisites
Action start 14:05:17: AI_VerifyPrereq.
MSI (s) (FC:68) [14:05:17:363]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIF653.tmp, Entrypoint: VerifyPrereq
Action 14:05:17: AI_VerifyPrereq. Verifying prerequisites
Warning 4154. .NET Framework 4.5 prerequisite was not correctly installed. Continue installation of Aperta Web Applications?
CustomAction AI_VerifyPrereq returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 14:06:15: AI_VerifyPrereq. Return value 3.
Action ended 14:06:15: INSTALL. Return value 3.
Daniel

Hello,
The installer we have deploys potentially multiple web applications and web services (based on feature selection) and when i choose to install the .net 4 one(in AI i have the ASP.NET version set to 4.0.30319 on its virtual directory) the ISA and CSI restrictions were present in IIS but their "restriction" was set to "not allowed", in order to run the apps we need them set to "allowed"
I've tested the scenario and the ISAPI and CGI restrictions are added in IIS with the restrictions set to "Allowed". Can you please test your package on a clean machine?
I've tried that and it seems to correctly restrict the checking for pre-requisite unless the .net 4.5 is install
The prerequisite package will be selected for installation as long as searches from its "Install Condition" tab are not fulfilled.
However on systems that dont have it, it fails to install it and give a message saying it didnt complete sucessfully
"Warining 4154 .Net Framework 4.5 prerequisite was not correctly installed. Continue installation of <productname>"
Please take a look on our "Why do I receive the 4154 warning?" article which debates this issue.

All the best,
Daniel
FergusMurray

Daniel wrote:I've tested the scenario and the ISAPI and CGI restrictions are added in IIS with the restrictions set to "Allowed". Can you please test your package on a clean machine?
I had tried it on two clean 2008 servers (one 32bit windows 2008 x86 and the other windows 2008 r2 x64)
Daniel wrote:Please take a look on our "Why do I receive the 4154 warning?" article which debates this issue.
I've reviewed that but my install conditions look correct to me (i have made only a minor change to the default by adding the command lines), my install condition is the default on the prereq, im using
download single file from URL: http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... _setup.exe
install command lines: /q /norestart /ChainingPackage ApertaWebApplications

The condition ive put on the feature associated with this prereq is:
Install based on condition: &WebAiDPSFrontEnd=3 (where this is the .net 4.5 feature)
Daniel

Hello,
I had tried it on two clean 2008 servers (one 32bit windows 2008 x86 and the other windows 2008 r2 x64)
Please give us some time to investigate this and we'll get back to you as soon as we have a conclusive answer.
install command lines: /q /norestart /ChainingPackage ApertaWebApplications
Can you please make sure the "/q /norestart /ChainingPackage ApertaWebApplications" is a valid command line? Can you please try to manually launch the prerequisite package using the above command line and see if successfully install?

All the best,
Daniel
FergusMurray

Daniel wrote:Can you please make sure the "/q /norestart /ChainingPackage ApertaWebApplications" is a valid command line? Can you please try to manually launch the prerequisite package using the above command line and see if successfully install?
It launches and installs okay running it from command line, just not from AI

its almost like its not even attempting to download it it happens that quickly (check the timestamps in the log)

again this is on server 2008 r2 x64
Daniel

Hello,

Can you please send us the .aip (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

Also, regarding ISAPI and CGI restrictions, we have tested the scenario on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 clean machine and ISAPI and CGI restrictions are added in IIS with the restrictions set to "Allowed".

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel

Hello Fergus,
It launches and installs okay running it from command line, just not from AI

its almost like its not even attempting to download it it happens that quickly (check the timestamps in the log)

again this is on server 2008 r2 x64
I've tested your installation package and I was able to replicate the behavior. However, this happens because you have used a feature action (e.g. &FeatId=3) in the "Condition" field of the ".NET Framework 4.5" feature, from "Organization" page. Please keep in mind that you cannot use the action state of a feature (e.g. FeatId) to condition the installation of another feature. If you want to condition the installation of ".NET Framework 4.5" feature based on the action state of another feature you should implement a scenario like it is described in our "Show a custom feature selection dialog" article.

So, can you remove the current condition added in the "Condition" field of the ".NET Framework 4.5" feature, from "Organization page -> Feature Properties right pane", and see if the behavior still persist?

All the best,
Daniel
FergusMurray

So that means i cant use the existing "standard" feature selection and have to create (and maintain) my own?

Seems a bit of a weakness that there is no standard way to check for pre-req if specific feature is selected for install. What is the feature based pre-requisites used for if its not this?

Is there any other condition i can use on the feature based pre-req only check if they choose that a specific feature is installed?
Daniel

Hello,
So that means i cant use the existing "standard" feature selection and have to create (and maintain) my own?
Yes.
Seems a bit of a weakness that there is no standard way to check for pre-req if specific feature is selected for install. What is the feature based pre-requisites used for if its not this?
I'm afraid this is the Windows Installer default behavior. All feature can be selected for installation or not from the selection tree (or quick selection tree) control, but it is not recommended to use in the feature "Condition" field the action state of another feature.
Is there any other condition i can use on the feature based pre-req only check if they choose that a specific feature is installed?
As another solution you can add the associated feature of your prerequisite as a sub-feature of your specific feature.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Common Problems”