eric

it works with click on desktop icon, but not after launch

Hi Guys, this is my first letter here.
I made a Setup-project, with the freeversion 9.6.1. ANd it based up a Winform-Visual Studio Project Application (2008 Enterprise Edition), wich is working on a Win7 PC.
The files wich that app is needeing will be installed to Commonappdatafolder, so that it es possible to install it for 'AllUser'.
It works fine at first, everything what that application shall do is possible.For Example to save new datasentence in a access-database.
But If I change, that my Application has to launch by itself (after the installation has been finished), then I have to recognize that I have not enough rights to save datasentence or delete from that database.
That Application start with 'asInvoker' If I change that, then it will work in that case as well, but that does not have a value.

So I hope somenone of you could help me.
Daniel

Re: it works with click on desktop icon, but not after launc

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

You may encounter this behavior due to insufficient permissions. Can you please run your installation package using the "Run as administrator" context menu option and see if the behavior still persist?

Also, you can enable the "Run as administrator" option from "Install Parameters" page. Please keep in mind that the above option is available only in a "Professional" or higher project type.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
eric

Hi Daniel,
thanks for that answer in a short time.
So far as I understand the UAC, I would say, to run my app with a right klick as "run as administrator" its maybe the same like, I change it from 'asInvoker' to 'requireAdministrator' is it?

I have done what you wrote me, and then it works. But the main reason for looking for a tool,is, to make my app able runing for each user, no matter if he is an admin or a normal user

best regards Eric
Daniel

Hello Eric,
So far as I understand the UAC, I would say, to run my app with a right klick as "run as administrator" its maybe the same like, I change it from 'asInvoker' to 'requireAdministrator' is it?
Yes, you're right.
I have done what you wrote me, and then it works. But the main reason for looking for a tool,is, to make my app able runing for each user, no matter if he is an admin or a normal user
In order to achieve this you should add write permissions for all users on the related folders (e.g. CommonAppDataFolder) used by your application.

All the best,
Daniel
eric

Hello Daniel,

Yes you are right, I should add write permission. But have no idea how I have to do that . That Folder 'commonappdata' doesnt have any properties.
And so far, I have not seen any possibility in your tool to give it that permission as it need.

Best regards Eric
eric

There is nothing more to say?
eric

I would like to remined you, thers is just trouble if I change it, so that my Application has to launch by itself, after the installation has been finished.
How is that possible? In one case I have enough rights in another case not
eric

It works fine if I use 'Application Data' instaed of 'Common Application Data'. But thats not what I need
Daniel

Hello Eric,

In order to add folder permissions you can proceed like this:
- Go to "Files and Folders" page and select the desired folder (e.g. Common Application Data).
- From its context menu use the "Properties..." option. In the "Edit Folder" dialog go to "Permissions" tab and add permissions accordingly.
- Build and run your project.

Also, please keep in mind that our "Permissions" feature is available only in a "Professional" or higher project type.

All the best,
Daniel
eric

Thanks Daniel, I thougt you let me in the sh..
While I was waiting for your answer, I kept going to figure out the reason of commonappdatafolder.
There are websites, where they explain, that even this folder is no longer for writing of users who are not admins.

Is there any chance to get a proof of your profenssionall installer?

best regard Eric
Daniel

Hello Eric,
Is there any chance to get a proof of your profenssionall installer?
If you don't have a "Professional" edition of Advanced Installer or your trial period has expired, then you can install Advanced Installer on another machine (even virtual machine) to benefit of the 30 days trial period. Also, if you don't have another machine, then please contact us to support at advancedinstaller dot com and we can give you a trial extension.

All the best,
Daniel
eric

The timeline of my trialversion is not over. But there is no trialversion wich offer those properties. It is as you told me, 'professional' is needed for that, is it? Or do I have it understood in a wrong way, do I ?

best regards
Daniel

Hello Eric,

If your trial version of Advanced Installer has not expired, then in order to achieve what you want you should create a "Professional" project type. Just open Advanced Installer and in the "Start" page choose "New -> Installer -> Professional" generic template.

Let us know if this helped.

All the best,
Daniel
eric

Hi Daniel,
that way has offer "properties", but I have to cancel Norton, not at all, but the safety against vieren.
At last I can not really check it out, can not really proof it. Because it doesnt start after the installation has finished,
even I have config the exitdialog, its the same as it was before. And can not start it using that desktop icon.
For example: both pathlines, inside of that desktopicon(right click, then click on properties). The target path I can change,
- i can recognize where it is depend on, I think so, but it doesn't matter what I do with that run path, it
does not except whatever I gave it. If these is the target path: C:\ProgamData\firmname\myapp.exe.
Then these shall be possible for the run path: "C:\Progam files\firmname\myapp.exe", but for any reason its always wrong.
The message I've got: "thise path is invaled, make sure that thise path exist".

An other problem I've got: In that create-way(as you wrote me), advanced is not create that setup by itself,
I have to do it by my self, every step.
And I had to recognize that there will be a lot of qustions, a lot of subjects to figur out,to get that setup ready
as it was in that normal way.
Daniel

Hello Eric,

I'm afraid I don't fully understand what you mean. Can you please give us more details about this (maybe exemplify)?

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Building Installers”