QuentinG

Installation not completing

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:32 am

Hi,
We have a situation that is occurring randomly when our application attempts to install. It doesn't happen every time but some clients report that the installer just seems to stop. The log file shows the following is occurring...

MSI (c) (F4:C8) [11:02:11:183]: ChildUIThread wait timed out
MSI (c) (F4:C8) [11:34:51:508]: ChildUIThread wait timed out
MSI (c) (F4:C8) [12:07:34:265]: ChildUIThread wait timed out
MSI (c) (F4:C8) [12:40:42:025]: ChildUIThread wait timed out
MSI (c) (F4:68) [12:46:05:197]: Doing action: UserExit

It seems to just repeatedly fire a wait time out and never progress. Can you offer any direction for what might be occurring?
Thanks and regards,
Quentin

Dan

Re: Installation not completing

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:27 am

Hello Quentin and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

I'm not sure why you encountered this behavior.
In order to have a better view about this, can you please send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? If it contains confidential information you can send us a small test project which reproduce this behavior.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Dan

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:09 am

Hello Quentin,

Unfortunately, we didn't faced this before. After some research it seems that this is a generic system issue. Here's the vs2010 pro installation failure thread which debates a similar issue.

You can try the same approach, as there and use the Process Monitor tool which can capture the access log.
Filter on the process name setup.exe in the log so that you see only the related list.
This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the hang happens.

Also, you should take a look on the “Windows event viewer” log where you might see why the installation process is hanging.

Best regards,
Dan

QuentinG

Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:23 am

Hi Dan,
Thanks for your comments and assistance.
To help give me with some further direction in diagnosis, can you advise what point in the install process the "ChildUIThread wait timed out" is occurring? This is not clear to me from the logs and I thought they may make more sense to you. What is likely to be occurring at or around this point in the log?
Thanks,
Quentin

Dan

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:19 am

Hi Quentin,

I'm afraid I don't have a clear view where this message comes from.

Reading other posts where the users reported a similar issue, they re-registed the windows scripting host.
Just open a command prompt and change directory to system32. Then call regsvr32 scrrun.dll. This fixed their issue. Maybe this will works for you too.

By the way, do you constantly reproduce this problem on multiple clean machines? We recommend for testing virtual machines, so they can be easily restored if something is damaged.

Best regards,
Dan

litu

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:27 am

Hi,

I have the same problem. The installation is extremely slow on Windows Server 2008 R1 (not on R2, neither on Windows 2003). I'm trying to digg on the Process Monitor data; but it's incomplete (the installation is too big and Process Monitor crashes before recording all data to a CSV file.

Anyone knows any other tool to try to know the reason for the slowlyness?

Thanks in advance,
Arnau.

Return to “Common Problems”