sjeslis

Uninstall Cleanup Wizard And A Merge Module

I want to allow our end users to optional remove all settings/configuration files that we normally save on an uninstall using the Uninstall Cleanup Wizard (which is not available from a merge module), i.e.
Uninstall_Cleanup.jpg
Uninstall_Cleanup.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 3295 times
The files & folders in question are actually created by the merge module, not a problem since I can set the Uninstall Cleanup in the parent full UI installer.

When I do this is there any property set by the checkbox on the VerifyRemoveDlg that I can then pass on down to the merge module so it can optionally delete these files and folders?

I can't just tag these folders from the parent installer though as the merge module contains 2 custom actions to backup and restore XML files so I need a property to override this default behavior.
Scott Jeslis
Senior Software Engineer
Cicero, Inc.
Eusebiu

Re: Uninstall Cleanup Wizard And A Merge Module

Hi Scott,

In order to set a condition in a Merge Module, depending on a property that is set in the main package you can follow the steps below:
- go in the Merge Module project, Module Details page and create a new property there (i.e. MSM_PROPERTY)
- set a condition (i.e. for a custom action) using that property
- go in the Table Editor page, "Property" table and copy that property along with its automatically assigned GUID number (i.e. MSM_PROPERTY.FE1442BF_3120_4A26_8CF5_71861EB3DE05)
- go in the main package project, Merge Module page and add the MSM that you created
- go in the Custom Actions page and add a "Set installer property" custom action after the "Wizard Dialogs Stage -> Searches" action group with the following configuration:
  • Property: MSM_PROPERTY.FE1442BF_3120_4A26_8CF5_71861EB3DE05
    Value: [AI_CLEAN_RESOURCES_UNINSTALL]
    (this is the property related to the checkbox from the VerifyRemoveDlg dialog, but you can use any other property)
- build and run the project

Let us know if this helped, otherwise give us more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
sjeslis

Thanks Eusebiu!

The piece I was looking for was AI_CLEAN_RESOURCES_UNINSTALL.

Scott
Scott Jeslis
Senior Software Engineer
Cicero, Inc.
Eusebiu

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”