Lenny

Visual C++ package issue

Hi AI people!

First of all I'd like to say that I'm all new to Advanced Installer, so sorry if my questions seems stupid.

I've been assigned to create a few msi packages so that we can deploy them through out sccm. I've manage to get almost all applications to work except for "Microsofts Visual C++ 20xx redist.". And I know that theese are prereq. but for some reason they still want them as msi packages.

So,
I've extracted the msi files from the install folders and imported them into AI, If I simply build the msi from here I get a msi that after install seems too small in size to be correctly installed. It just feels like it's not properly done. So my questions are as follows;

Can I even build a Visual C++ MSI through the Professional template or do I need to use some other template?
Is there som registry entries I may be missing to create?
Is there any How-To for this typ of application packaging? (I've seached the forum, tutorials and How-to's prior to this post and couldn't find any)

Thanks in advance!
Lenny
Eusebiu

Re: Visual C++ package issue

Hi Lenny and welcome to Advanced Installer forums.

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

In order to create MSI packages from some EXE packages it is recommended to use the "Convert EXE(s) to MSI" feature. However, this feature is available only in an " Enterprise" or higher project type. Extracting the resources from the EXE package and simply including them in an AI project will not work.

Let us know if this helped, otherwise give us more details about your scenario.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Lenny

Hi!
And thank you for your answer.

I tried the converter in a trail version of AI and the file seemed to work properly. I also tried the Repacker feature which I found very, very nice! :)
So since I only got the basic licens, does that mean that I'm unable to creat this certain types of packages or is there another way to do it?

Best regards
Lenny
Eusebiu

Hello Lenny,

My pleasure to help.

I'm afraid that the "Convert EXE(s) to MSI" feature is available only in an "Enterprise" or higher edition of Advanced Installer while the "Repackager" feature is available only in the "Architect" edition and they cannot be used in another edition. To be able to use them you can upgrade your license to one of these editions.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”