Understanding use of this software

Having trouble running Advanced Installer? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
donron

Understanding use of this software

Post by donron » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:02 am

Hello,
I'm having so many problems with Visual Studio ClickOnce that I discovered a reference to this software.
My problems involved controlling the paths of the database and connection strings on the client computers.

I want to install a visual studio 2015, visual basic program.exe with an access database and some Crystal Reports on my Clients' computers in the path that I specify.
I had success creating an MSI that installed the way I want it to.

Please tell me if this software will upload the installation software to my ftp site (similar to click once) so that I can download it to another computer and install it.
It seems that the only references to ftp sites on the tutorials are talking about asp.net which I am not.
I'm assuming that I'll need the professional addition but am not sure.
Please direct me to the place I can find these instructions if it does. I have spent a couple hours browsing it to no avail.
Thanks in advance for helping me.

Horatiu

Re: Understanding use of this software

Post by Horatiu » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:07 pm

Hello,

An MSI works differently from a ClickOnce installer(Choosing Between ClickOnce and Windows Installer). To have similar functionality you need to follow the steps below.

You will have to create a web-based installation package, so that your MSI package will be installed from a server. Go to Builds > Package Type > Web installer(downloadable small EXE),
and activate this option. Don’t forget to add your URL path.

If you want to have the option to update your application, you must enable the Updater feature.

Both features are available starting with the Professional version.

Best regards,
~Horatiu