tscheuerman

Issue installing Microsoft Visual C++ (x64) prerequisite for BOTH 2012 and 2013

I am using Advanced Installer 14.8 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64 bit) machine.

As part of my installer I need to install BOTH the 2012 and 2013 64 bit Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. Under Feature-based I have the prerequisites listed in the following order: 2013, 2012. (Note the order!)

When I run the installer on a machine that DOES NOT HAVE EITHER of these 2 prerequisites I encounter the following error:

Warning 4154. Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.61030 prerequisite was not correctly installed. Continue installation.... ?

(C++ 2013 gets installed!)

However, if I change the order of the prerequisites (2012, 2013), I encounter the follower error:

Warning 4154. Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x64) - 12.0.30501 prerequisite was not correctly installed. Continue installation.... ?

(C++ 2012 gets installed!)

IMPORTANT... Depending on the order that the prerequisites are listed under Feature-base I get a different error!!!

The prerequisites are listed under Feature-based. I am using the following conditions to determine if the prerequisites are installed:

For C++ 2013 - Registry Key Exists : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Dependencies\{050d4fc8-5d48-4b8f-8972-47c82c46020f}
For C++ 2012 - Registry Key Exists : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Dependencies\{ca67548a-5ebe-413a-b50c-4b9ceb6d66c6}

Each prerequisite is configured to install if at least one condition is false AND to Use 64-bit locations when evaluating conditions on a 64-bit machine. I am running the installer on a Windows 7 64 bit machine!!!

Each prerequisite has the following Install Command Line parameter settings:

Full UI: /q /norestart
Basic UI: /q /norestart
Silent (no UI): /q /norestart

I am providing the installer with the prerequisite files.

If I manually installed BOTH the 2012 and 2013 C++ Restributuables (x64) and then run the installer, the installer completes with no errors!

Any suggestions on how I can get around this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Todd Scheuerman
tscheuerman

Re: Issue installing Microsoft Visual C++ (x64) prerequisite for BOTH 2012 and 2013

Another interesting thing to mention. If I run the installer on a clean machine that does not have either of the Microsoft Visual C++ (x64) 2012 and 2013 Redistributables, the first prerequisite listed will get installed and the 2nd prerequisite will result in the documented error. If I run the installer for a second time, the prerequisite that previously encountered an error will get installed without an error.
Dan

Re: Issue installing Microsoft Visual C++ (x64) prerequisite for BOTH 2012 and 2013

Hello,
Warning 4154. Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.61030 prerequisite was not correctly installed. Continue installation.... ?
This warning appears when the install conditions associated with prerequisites are not valid. In order for a prerequisite to successfully be reported as installed a valid install condition is needed that will not be met if the prerequisite is not installed and will be met if the prerequisite is installed.

For details, please check the why do I receive the 4154 warning? article.

As a side note, is there any reason why you are not using the already defined conditions for Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2013 x64 and Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012?
I'm asking you because you are using a different install detection than the one that we are using. The prerequisites from our predefined list are configured. You should not get any kind of message when using the prerequisites from our predefined list.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
tscheuerman

Thank you for your reply. However, your "canned" response for prerequisite condition issues does not apply to the problem I reported... please re-read my 2 posts that detail how and when the error occurs.

As I indicated, depending on the order that the C++ packages are listed, the first package will get installed while the second is reported with an error. If you change the order of the packages, again, the first will get installed and the second will fail to get installed (same packages same conditions). Further more, if after getting the error, if you run the installer AGAIN, the package that was previously reported as failing to be installed correctly does get installed!

Also, if I manually installed BOTH packages AND then run the installer, the installer is able to use the prerequisite conditions to determine that packages do not need to be installed!

Regarding your question "why aren't you using the already defined conditions for Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2013 x64 and Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012?", I have tried this and encounter the same issue!

Thanks,
Todd Scheuerman
Daniel

Hello Todd,

This is quite strange. We tested the installation scenario using our default prerequisite configured using predefined install conditions and using your install conditions too. However we were not able to replicate any installation issue.

Can you replicate the issue on multiple machines? For testing purposes we always recommend to be used virtual machines with clean states so that when something goes wrong you can easily revert to a clean state of the virtual machine.

If so, could you try to isolate this behavior in a small sample and send it us by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com alongside with a short test case we can follow to replicate the issue?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”