Vicente

Warning 4154

Hello,

I have an main installer with a prerequisite that is giving me Warning 4154 during install. The prerequisite installer writes a registry key.

Target: HKLM\Software\TestManufacturer\TestProduct
Name: Version
Type: REG_SZ
Data: "[ProductVersion]"
(in this case [ProductVersion] is 1.1.1)

Then the main installer, in the pre-requisites checks for the following key.

Criteria: Registry value containing a version
Registry Value: HKLM\Software\TestManufacturer\TestProduct\Version
Required Versions Minimum: 1.1.1
(Required Versions Maximum is empty)

I have checked after the install, and the prerequisite (a Windows Service) is correctly installed and running, so I'm not sure why the installer reports this warning.

The only strange thing I can think of, is that if I try to manually check that registry key (using regedit), I can't see the key values, as I have no permissions. I have to go to Permissions->Advanced->Owner and give myself ownership of the registry key HKLM\Software\TestManufacturer\TestProduct (not sure why I can do that but not see the value). Both installers have the following options checked:

In Install Parameters->Installation Type: Per-machine only (fails if user is not administrator)
In Media->Bootstrapper->Security->Execution Level: Require Administrator

The idea is that this application will only be installed once per machine, not sure if that's the right way of doing it, or Execution Level could be left As Invoker.

Any ideas on why the prerequisite gives the warning? Regards,

Vicente

Edit: this happens in Windows 7 x64 with an account that is a member of the Administrators group. Maybe it's because the key goes to the Wow6432Node?
Vicente

Re: Warning 4154

I have been doing tests, and adding another check in the pre-requisites like this:

Criteria: Registry value containing a version
Registry Value: HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\TestManufacturer\TestProduct\Version
Required Versions Minimum: 1.1.1
(Required Versions Maximum is empty)

Doesn't help either. But if I change in both applications the following:

In Media->Bootstrapper->Security->Execution Level: As Invoker

Then it works in a W7 x64 under an Admin account. So it seems it's something strange related to permissions, but I'm lost on how to fix this.
mihai.petcu

Hi Vicente,

Here is a link to a user guide FAQ section that will explain why this is happening.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Vicente

Hello mihai,

I have read that, but it´s not my case. My problem is that if the installer of the pre-requisite was marked with:

Media->Bootstrapper->Security->Execution Level: Require Administrator

Then the check for the pre-requisite fails with the warning 4154 in the main installer. While if the pre-requisite installer is marked as:

Media->Bootstrapper->Security->Execution Level: As Invoker

The pre-requisite doesn´t show the warning after installing. So it seems the main installer is unable to read the registry key if Require Administrator is marked, but I don´t understand why because the main installer is also marked with Require Administrator.
Vicente

I have tried in a machine, and even if the main installer is set as Require Administrator, and then pre-requisite installer was set As Invoker, I get this warning. I´m totally lost on what is happening here :(
mihai.petcu

Hi Vicente,

Can you please send us both the .AIPs ( main project and prerequisite ) and a verbose log of the main installation and of the prerequisite to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Vicente

Hello Mihai,

I´ll send both .aip files and the log (probably on Monday, I´m swamped with a million things). Thanks a lot for the support.

Regards,

Vicente
Vicente

I have sent the project files and logs to the support email. I am sorry it took so long.

Regards,

Vicente

Return to “Common Problems”