Capture applications which require a reboot
A few years ago, we were used to rebooting our machines to complete installations; nowadays, applications that require a restart are becoming a thing of the past.
However, there are still some exceptions to this rule, and in this article, we go through the easy process that Advanced Installer has to continue a capture after reboot.
Because we didn’t have a particular application in mind, we created a simple MSI that places two files in %ProgramFiles% and added a forced reboot to it.
Assuming you have a clean virtual machine and a configured Repackager to connect to it, perform the following steps:
- Open the Repackager
- Click Capture Setup
- Browse and select the executable
- Press Start in VM and select your virtual machine from the toolbar
- Select the location where the project is saved
- Perform the installation on the virtual machine and reboot when asked
- After reboot click Retry in Repackager to reconnect to the machine
- In the virtual machine, press Enter when finished to continue the capture process
If the application has any post-reboot configurations, the Repackager captures them.
From now on, having an installer that requires a reboot is not a problem anymore if you follow the steps above when repackaging your application.