The following article uses options that are available starting with the Enterprise edition and project type.
This tutorial will guide you in displaying and configuring the user friendly installation log.
- 1. Create Project
- 2. Adding an edit control
- 3. Register the edit control to display installation details
- 4. Preview
- 5. Formatting and Indenting
- 6. Change the text displayed
- 7. See also
By default, during the execute stage of the installation, the user will see a glimpse of the action that is being performed. You can choose to also display the actions that have already been completed.
The dialog that is being displayed during the execution stage of the installation is "ProgressDlg". We will add an "Edit" control and subscribe it to the installation log events.
Launch Advanced Installer, select Enterprise and press thebutton.
Switch to the Dialogs page.
Use the edit control to the dialog.toolbar button to display the toolbox. Select "ProgressDlg" in the tree and add an
Delete the "StatusLabel" and "ActionText" controls and reposition the controls so they will look something like:
- Select the edit control. Select the Subscribed Events tab in the “Control” pane.
- Use the Edit Event Mapping Dialog will be displayed. button to subscribe the control to an event. The
Configure the control subscription as follows:
- Subscribe to: Display installation actions summary (EXE UI only)
- Attribute to set: Text
In the Properties pane located on the right side, set the Multiline, Read-only and Vertical Scrollbar attribute to True.
The Enhanced User Interface is required for the installation log messages to be displayed. You must set this package type from the Builds page > Configuration tab.
At install-time the "ProgressDlg" should look like:
To also display the action details (the installed resources and any other action data) you should retake the Configure the control subscription step but subscribe the edit control to Display installation details (Enhanced UI only) event. You should now obtain something like:
Set the ActionDataPrefix property (from Install Parameters) to the " " (three spaces) text. That text will be added before each ActionData message.
There also other properties that can be used to control the format:
- ActionTextSuffix - will be added after each ActionText message. Let's use "...".
- ActionTextDoneSuffix - will be added when the current action is finished. Let's use " done".
- ActionTextPrefix - will be added before each ActionText message.
- ActionDataSuffix - will be added after each ActionData message.
- SubActionPrefix - will be added before each ActionText message received during removal of older versions.
Some of the actions are already been filtered out because they are not important steps for the installation. If you want to display even fewer actions, set the AiIgnoredSummaryActions property to the actions that you don't want to be displayed (separate more actions with a space). Let's use ProcessComponents WriteRegistryValues and our installation log will look like:
The descriptive text displayed for each action is stored in the ActionText table. To change the message you have 2 options: